Garage News: Savage99 Goes African

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have never seen anything like that sky. It's the pink in the background that sets it of as so unusual. That is shear genius.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
Amazing artistry at work...
i love the way you captures a family portrait of the lions family. Laid back in the african sun.
the water buffalo in the evening sun... just amazing
thanks for sharing

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Holy carp! I hope to see this in the flesh in Vegas come January. It's absolutely stunning! I can't say that this is your best, because I can't decide which of your works I like the most!

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got the project through D'Arcy and I think he has some information about it on his blog, it's my understanding that the new owner purchased the rifle from the original owner and wanted different engraving, D'Arcy complied.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got the project through D'Arcy and I think he has some information about it on his blog, it's my understanding that the new owner purchased the rifle from the original owner and wanted different engraving, D'Arcy complied.

so are you saying this is the same rifle that's had the original engraving removed/re-ground & polished (presumably annealed, too)? huh, i'll be darned. as i mentioned above, my work was pretty much relatively undistinguished fine scroll, nice, but nothing particularly special. i was kinda wondering what the odds were of there being TWO .510 Nitros* on Hagns...

kinda like a fancy painting that was done over a previous work on the canvas. :graver:

*iirc, the caliber designation was something of an invention, the actual cartridge being a wildcat based on a .50 Sharps case? i definitely remember it being a real cannon. seems D'Arcy had to reinforce the fore-end mounting block on the underside of the barrel after it sheared off in test firing. and knowing D'Arcy, i doubt it was under-engineered to begin with. :shock:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee, your work was some of the first I studied closely way back when the guild put out that Engravers Profiles compendium in 2002. I remember thinking that buff on the featured .470 Nitro was just astounding in every way. Since then your work has gone from "pretty darn nice gun engraving" to "fairly amazing stuff". Well done and I always look forward to seeing what comes out of the garage next.

Latest posts

Sponsors