Sam's arabesque design complete

celticjohn

Finally got around to completing Sam's Arabesque design as a practice plate

Finished design is approx. 110mm x 55mm
Very challenging from the start. I printed the design direct without alteration which caused me problems
due to Sam's gradient in the background. Had to have 2 attempts at transferring to the brass plate with Damar varnish.
Once transferred a lot of the design looked solid black in the shadow areas so there was a bit of guesswork when engraving.

In total it took approx. 10 hours to get it to where it is now.
Quite satisfied with the outcome.
It helped with my shading and did it all under my scope which again I don't use enough.

Thanks again Sam.

Attachments

• arabesque complete1.jpg
    arabesque complete1.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 268

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Congrats on completing this monumental project! That's a LOT of cutting and you did a good job of it. Maybe one day I'll cut it myself :)

:thumbsup:

Do you feel like you picked up some technique with the cutting and shading?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a giant pat on the back is your due for such a job. as far as transfers to accurately show all of sams' shading as distinct lines-- good luck. i'm not real sure his intention was to transfer all those tiny lines anyway. i would think doing a transfer of the main lines would probably do the trick. then just shade "on the fly". i'm not answering for sam; this is just a personal thought on how to best do such work. what gravers did you use for this job? the control you show is very, very good. tyvm for showing this work.

celticjohn

Congrats on completing this monumental project! That's a LOT of cutting and you did a good job of it. Maybe one day I'll cut it myself :)

:thumbsup:

Do you feel like you picked up some technique with the cutting and shading?

Yes, Sam .I kinda found my own tecnique to tackle the job. Initially it was a lot of spectacles on, look at the A4 print of the design, glasses off look through the scope do a bit, glasses on look at the A4 agian. Came a point where i just did my own thing.

Monk, the whole plate was completed with a 120, nothing more, nothing less.

Sponsors