Ultra Sonics

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Okay this is not engraving but I guess I will call it prep work.
Can you put a silver bracelet that has a stone, could possibly be three stones side by side into an ultrasonic bath. A person brought around a bracelet, obviously older and with a spring in the center and a stone of sorts on the end. Can this be put in to be cleaned without hurting the stones. I could possibly suspend the spring section only as it is really built up with crud. Just cannot see giving it back clean except for the coil spring. Just doesn't seem right.
I guess I could try some small brushes and cleaner.
Work done for family is tuff when you get looking closer,

Eric

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Brian I thought of you when I hit the send button. This was bought she said in Mexico when she was 20 she is a bit younger than I but that would still put it around 35-40 years ago. Best answer on the stones beside blue is I have no idea. The stones are set between vertical pieces of silver total of 4 sections and ground to the contour of the bracelet. By the weight I would say it is a solid piece of silver if it is silver.
Your first line kinda confirms my fear and I will work around the ultra sonic.
Thanks I appreciate the help

Eric

thejeweler

If by blue you mean turquoise, a lot of turquoise in Mexican and southwest US was and is glued into the jewelry. Some have sawdust behind the stone as a filler. All turquoise can be damaged by ultrasonics. Blue lapis is also used and has similar concerns, just not as common in Mexico as turquoise.

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
Also a lot of turq, lapiz, shell & coral have a wax finish to make them shiny and they will come out of the sonic dull.
Easy to fix but can be a bit of a surprise.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If they are bezel set turquoise, besides the possible damage to the stone in the ultrasonic - you will have liquid trapped underneath the stone. Wet cardboard or sawdust may take a while to dry :(

That was one of the reasons why I asked if the back of the stones was exposed.

If the piece was bought in Mexico during that time frame, it likely originated from one of the Taxco shops. If it looks like a really nice piece and you can put up an image of the hallmark - I may be able to recognize who it was, from the hallmark. I lived there for 7 years...

Brian

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the information. Just came up after suspending the joint part in the cleaner. It came out not bad, rust is on the coil spring but not a big issue. It certainly looks better with the years of buildup gone.
Again thanks Brian, Eric, and thejeweler I certainly appreciate the time and info. Glad I checked with the Pros. A jeweller I am not.
Brian I will try to get a photo of the makers mark as all I am going on is what I have been told. I will pass on the help to the owner.

Eric

Sure glad I didn't just drop that in the tank !

Latest posts

Sponsors