New favorite chasing hammers.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
I had to make myself another pair of chasing hammers. The top two I just finished.
I found a couple of obsolete auto ball joints, cut the ball shafts out of the units and turned the ends down to suit.
Nice raw material for hammers, induction hardened shell, softer center like a true hammer needs to be.
The handles are from some ice fallen Hawthorne limbs, hand scraped to shape and waxed.
I like funky shaped handles made to fit my fingers.

Not like I needed more hammers, just too easy to
make to pass up.

The stick on the right is a old piece of lilac tree heartwood, any way to preserve the rich purple color? Pic doesn't show the nice lilac and cream of the wood.

Attachments

• 15014532699401910597403.jpg
    15014532699401910597403.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 369

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't use a chasing hammer under the scope. They are too tall and often hit the scope. I have a smalll flat iron bar I use instead.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
I'm still using an Optivisor, so no problem there.
It was more of a case of seeing something and thinking, hmmm that would make a great.........
I do some small sculpture and wanted one more hammer.

jaydf

nicely done moldyjim.

if you dont mind, what wax did you use? bees wax?

if bees wax, is it ok as virgin bees wax? coz i have a small block here somebody gave me and i dont know where i can use it hehehe.

thnx

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
On most of the handles I used paste wax with a little extra carnauba wax melted into the paste. (couldn't hurt..)
One has superglue finish, I think I am going to remove it, too shiney and slippery.
Bee's wax should work too.
I have a friend who is the son of a candle maker.
He used to put wood handles into his Dad's wax pot and boil them for a bit in the paraffin.
He says the wax gets into the wood and keeps hammer handles really nice and tight.
I bet Bee's wax would work as well if not better.
Smells better too.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
MoldyJim,
You might enjoy making a chasing hammer using an old automobile or truck valve and valve guide as a basis.
You will need to do a little simple annealing and heat treating while drilling and filing the hole for the handle but no problem.
I've made some nice maple handles too, using the off cuts from a stockmaker's Kentucky rifle blank.
Made lots over the years and given them all away as gifts. Fun projects and great gifts for starting engravers.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
I started to make one from an old aircraft valve once.
Then I realized it might be sodium filled, so I decided to find something else.
Discretion is the better part and all that...

If I make many more I will have to start giving them away.
:)

Latest posts

Sponsors