Question: Engraving cow horn

Keith1

Hi, and first of all thank you for accepting me as a new member.
I would like to engrave some cow horn, preferabley with viking or celtic designs.
Are their any sites to obtain these designs and how difficult would it be, plus, any pitfalls I should be aware of.
Thanks,
Keith

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Keith,Mark Thomas can give advice on cow horn engraving he has done some fine work on them. J.J.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
99% of us are gun and knife engravers or engrave metal in some capacity. You might do some searching for a forum devoted to powder horns. There's an active community out there. Or a site for scrimshaw artists. Good luck with it! A nice horn is a besutiful thing to see.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Google "how to scrimshaw a powder horn" will be your best bet. The American Long Rifle Forum has some info, I never looked for a good tutorial, but have read some references to scrimshawing horns.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Horn is... or 'feels like' modified hair.
-meaning that the grain doesn't radiate from a core, like the growth rings on a tree, but acts like bundled strings. Very tightly bundled.
Actually great for engraving, if you have grain awareness. Don't pry, slice.

monk

Staff member
go to google images. type in the search bar what you're looking for. literally millions of images to provide inspiration

Andrew Biggs

That's a great web site thanks Roger.......I never knew it existed.

I've been a black powder shooter for many years and made all my own accessories including scrimshaw powder horn and shot horn. A lot of fun and satisfaction to be had doing it.

But.......a word of caution.

1. Drilling hole in horn.............don't stop the drill till it's fully reversed out of the hole otherwise you will never get the damn thing out!!!

2. Burning hole in horn...........don't do this in the kitchen under any circumstances. It stinks the entire house out for days!!!!

Number 1 leads to a severe tirade of basic Anglo Saxon expletives!!

Number 2 leads to the divorce courts and a severe tirade of basic Anglo Saxon expletives from the wife!!!!
Ask me how I know this to be true :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew, that sure seems like real world experience. Hhmmmm, I'm single and work cow horn on occasion, never put that together. lol
The Honourable Company of Horners is a great resource for anything horn. That being said, the majority of us have interests in colonial American work and it's influence. The Viking work is not seen in our group very often. Wish I could help further but might try the SCA groups and Renn Faires. Scott Sibley wrote a good book on making powder horns that might be of some help, don't know the name, sorry.
Mark

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cow Horn Scrimshaw

For cutting lines for scrimshaw in horn, I like to use the #28 Xacto knife and cut on the "pull". After inking with India Ink or acrylic artist paint, buff with 0000 steel wool.

Some people prefer to use a sharpened scribe. I knew one guy that used antique phonograph needles in a pin vise. (There are many ways to skin a cat.) :shock:

The #28 Xacto gives a lot of control and will cut cross grain readily.

For straight lines, you may wish to try a single cut gun checkering file.

28-Xacto.jpg

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Another good book is "Bone and Horn Carving", a Pictorial History by Carson I A. Ritchie. ISBN # 0-498-01404-5. Published in 1975.
Quite a few Celtic carvings are shown.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For cutting lines for scrimshaw in horn, I like to use the #28 Xacto knife and cut on the "pull". After inking with India Ink or acrylic artist paint, buff with 0000 steel wool.

Some people prefer to use a sharpened scribe. I knew one guy that used antique phonograph needles in a pin vise. (There are many ways to skin a cat.) :shock:

The #28 Xacto gives a lot of control and will cut cross grain readily.

For straight lines, you may wish to try a single cut gun checkering file.

View attachment 41884

There is also a tool used by modelers called a "panel line scribe" that could be useful. It is used to recut panel lines (duh!) in models after they have been removed when modifing or molding in preparation for painting.