old ruger... at last! (not engraving)

jaydf

hi guys!

this is not engraving but im just amazed!

one of my client shows me his one of the few collections he has and not much familiar about these toys.

"L"ugers, thats one of the few i dreamt of touching. its very rare here in the country so its my privilege on this moment hahahaha! wohoooooooO!

it is not for engraving (as this fine arms should stays as it is), but on the metal of the arms. its oxidizing, and my initial, i think this is allum alloy?

i would like to ask anybody's help on how should this be treated as to slow or if ever, stop its oxidation.

here are the photos (which i and the owner is not much familiar)

a) a newer model (1940's??)
b) older model (1920's???)

many thanks!

newer model

original markings on the newer model

older model

here is the oxidation of the metal on the older model

again, thank you thank you in advance

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jay,Layne is right you have a Luger with Nazi makings,eagle with swastika growing up in the 1940 I saw a lot of guns,flags,swords,uniforms and anything a GI could stuff in his duffel bag. J.J.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jay
The gun is steel, if you do to want to do a complete refinish, I would bead/grit blast the really rough areas of rust then use a good oil or RIG to keep it from further damage. good luck. MTC

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
You should have the second one looked at by someone with real knowledge of Lugers.
If I remember correctly the ovaled trigger guard and squared area in front of it might indicate it is a rare specimen.
Info is from my granted fallible memory. A round trigger guard and radiused area seems more common.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jay,Leave the Luger the way it is if you do any thing just grease it and keep in a dry place,any restoration to the gun will affect the value. J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The markings that you show on the "new gun" are proof marks applied by Nazi government inspectors. They are known as Waffenamt codes. The Nazis used codes on weapons to hide the manufacturers identity.

The Waffenamt code 135 indicates that Luger was made in 1939 by Hans Deuter in Augsburg, Germany. Deuter was originally a maker of backpacks and tents but his factory was taken over by the military in 1939.

Regarding the Luger you refer to as the "new gun", I believe that that gun has been previously refinished as evidenced by the blurring of the proof marks. The proof marks were stamped into the gun and should appear very crisp. Also the finish appears to be too polished to have been a war time Luger. The other gun appears to be more likely in the original finish.

takedeadaim

I agree with Roger the "new gun" has been re finished. The clear indication of this is the "wiped appearance" of the proof marks; which occurs when the original finish is polished for re finishing. These marks are stamped in and usually quite sharp edged, often times with raised areas where the metal was displaced by the markers stamp. The second gun shows possible indications of at least a partial re finish in that it appears to me there is bluing in the pitted area around the grip.

In any case they are rare and nice examples. To prevent further corrosion simply keep them oiled and in a warm dry storage area. I would not suggest any attempt to restore the existing finish.

jaydf

thnak you thank you for the many feedbacks. so much appreciated at this end.

ill be updating my client on the feedback from all of you. it was one of my dream gun, just holding it was awesome. (of course the 1911, which our dad passes to us a 1940s model).

my initial observation on the body was made of alloy, which you all clarified, many thanks to that. ill kust tell him to oil as to prevent further oxidation.

again, salamat (thank you)!

jaydf

The markings that you show on the "new gun" are proof marks applied by Nazi government inspectors. They are known as Waffenamt codes. The Nazis used codes on weapons to hide the manufacturers identity.

The Waffenamt code 135 indicates that Luger was made in 1939 by Hans Deuter in Augsburg, Germany. Deuter was originally a maker of backpacks and tents but his factory was taken over by the military in 1939.

Regarding the Luger you refer to as the "new gun", I believe that that gun has been previously refinished as evidenced by the blurring of the proof marks. The proof marks were stamped into the gun and should appear very crisp. Also the finish appears to be too polished to have been a war time Luger. The other gun appears to be more likely in the original finish.

sir Roger, many thanks for the priceless knowledge you gave, sooooo much appreciated in my part. thank you thank you!

Latest posts

Sponsors