Photo setup

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a nice and inexpensive step up from my current setup. The "Takeupspacio" Pat. Pending.
That's really a great solution in a small package. Thanks Sam. image.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Engravers used to have a legitimate excuse for not having good photos of their work. That's not the case any more. With an inexpensive or home-brew lighting setup, professional quality photos are within everyone's reach.

The crap I had to go through loading sheet film in the dark and shooting transparencies with a 4x5 studio camera and then driving them to New Orleans for processing, and driving back for pickup, and spending a bloody fortune on prints...jeesh! :confused:

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Amen Sam! In the custom gun end of the photo business we had to send guns to "professional photographers" they kept the guns for weeks and sometimes months before returning. CHARGED a huge sum of money for the photos and with the shipping & insurance the cost was as much as a store bought gun! On top of that they still owned and sold the prints or transparencies as they pleased.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Amen Sam! In the custom gun end of the photo business we had to send guns to "professional photographers" they kept the guns for weeks and sometimes months before returning. CHARGED a huge sum of money for the photos and with the shipping & insurance the cost was as much as a store bought gun! On top of that they still owned and sold the prints or transparencies as they pleased.

which explains why i have zero photos of soooo many of the guns i engraved. the gunmakers just never bothered having it done (even tho virtually ALL of them promised they would, but... "Well, the client needed it for a hunt..." or "I needed the money so I just shipped it as soon as I got it back together. (like 6 mos. after i was done)" or "The client was on my back because it's taken so long. (I had it 2 months, maker had it 4 yrs)", etc...) :mad:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
my 'photo-bucket'. just a tall 6-7 gal bucket with a hole cut in the bottom that snugly fits the makeshift lens shade (a section of a shop-vac nozzle) on my old Nikon 8700. or i can set my iPhone on it, too. i use it in front of a north window in my home office. works pretty well for small items. if i'm shooting something highly polished with much curvature, i raise the object up a few inches on a block so the reinforcement ribs of the bucket don't reflect in the surface.

Attachments

• PhotoBucket.jpeg
    PhotoBucket.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 292

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Mitch you're completely right on. I've used all of those excuses and then some. Finally I gave up trying to make all ends meet. I also find that the bigger "time" problems have been with the gunmakers not the engravers. I certain have to accept my own share of the blame. RmG

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
The crap I had to go through loading sheet film in the dark and shooting transparencies with a 4x5 studio camera and then driving them to New Orleans for processing, and driving back for pickup, and spending a bloody fortune on prints...jeesh! :confused:
Sam, I too remember all to well ... long evenings in the darkroom processing the 4x5 - 8x10 negatives/positives after a long day in the studio or location. Chapped/cracked bleeding hands from photo chemistry .... nope don't miss those days at all. Thank goodness for digital photography.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Light painting, learned the gist of it here, tons of taking and practice, but it can be done, camera, ipad, very little photo editing needed. Do some searches here in the Forum is been covered extensively someone even made a YouTube tutorial which can be found here.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
I bought a Light box exactly like the one same posted from the WISH app. 20 bucks or so plugs into usb port to run the LED Lights. works pretty well

tolesh

Dale, your private message box is full, so how can I get one or what did they call it on WISH?

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK... I love photo equipment and table top photography so... I ordered one! It looks a lot nicer than the photo cubes and continuous lighting on stands I've been using.

Latest posts

Sponsors