Engraving over original copy on a gun; okay or not?

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
I have noticed some firearms that have original copy worked into an engraving design while others have engraved their design right over some of the copy. How is this determined, and what is proper?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not sure I understand your question, Steve. By "original copy", do you mean engraving that was already on a gun, perhaps partially polished/worn away? Or are you referring to something else?

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
I'll be very specific, sorry. I did a google search on engraved Walther PPK/S hand guns. By copy, I mean the factory added engraved copy which includes the name Walther and information pertaining to the gun on one side and Walther/ Smith and Wesson/ factory location, serial # and caliber on the other side. All guns have this kind of stuff as well as safety info on some. Some of the custom engraved PPK/s guns I looked at had all the factory copy remaining; an effort was made to incorporate the factory copy into the hand engravers design. Other custom engraved PPK/S guns had some of the factory copy removed in favor of newly engraved scroll work. Is removing factory info. proper, or should it always be left on the gun?

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's typically a matter of what my customer requests. There is no precedent. You may be seeing some older guns that were cut before all of that lettering was added. On many guns, the factory lettering is milled or rolled in and is too deep to simply file off. It would need to be filled and surface finished to get an acceptable canvas. Others that have laser etched logos or lettering can simply be sanded and polished.
Serial numbers must never be removed unless you want to start offering engraving classes to fellow inmates.
Lettering can never be simply engraved over. Some kind of prep must be done. The new Walthers have far too much info in a small space for my liking.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now before you remove the original makers marks, or rollmarks, there are some you can remove and some you cant by federal law. I'm not going to tell you which ones to do and don't do check ATF rules and local laws for that.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
I am not a gun engraver but have given serious thought to trying it. Personally I would never remove anything, but would rather work around it, and Layne I agree that the Walther PPK/S has too much information on it ( at least on one side of it ).

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes but above the flat sides of the slide, that area is prime real estate for engraving. MTC YMMV

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
listen to carlos-- it sounds like this gent knows how to avoid the wrath of the feds !

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some gun manufacturers put their "safety manual" on their guns which satisfies lawyers but completely ruins the guns beauty in my opinion, and those need removing in order to have a clean canvas. Of course, due diligence must be used, as some maker's marks are part of the value of the gun. NEVER, EVER REMOVE THE SERIAL NUMBER! Otherwise, do whatever is necessary to provide a clean canvas upon which to place good art.

Latest posts

Sponsors