Starter set up

style0

Is a used Dixon engraving block (the one on eBay) a good way to go as a starter set up. I know not to waste time on an imported one.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Personally, I would put that money toward a new GRS vise if I were you. The GRS vises have deeper and wider jaws which will be handy if you engrave larger items. Don't get me wrong, the old Dixons and lookalikes are ok and I have 3 or 4 of them around here, and most (if not all) have bushings and not bearings, and on some of them the crown is wobbly or has a bit of play because the bushing is worn out. Engravers have used them for many years though. Maybe one of the first things to ask is what do you intend to engrave? If it's jewelry only, then a smaller vise will be fine. If you plan to engrave guns or knives then a larger and heavier vise will be what you need.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
We all have to start some were. I remember when I first started to engrave I screwed my practice plate to my workbench. I had a b&*%^ of a time spinning the work bench.
Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them.
welcome to the form

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Is a used Dixon engraving block (the one on eBay) a good way to go as a starter set up. I know not to waste time on an imported one.

A fairly inexpensive vise can be created using an old bowling ball, the top cut flat, and a drill press type vise screwed into it. A large wheel bearing or lazy susan can be used to get spin.

Another is to use a metal mixing bowl, fill the bottom with used lead weights (from tire balancing), fill partially with plaster of paris, position the bolts and fill to the top. Bolt the drill press type vise onto that, with a bearing below to allow for spin. I believe Mr Alfano first mentioned this one.

2 possible vise builds, fairly inexpensive, until you can afford a better quality vise.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you can find an old Vigor block at a decent price, they are very serviceable vices. I used one for years before going to a GRS. If I recall the Dixon was not quite as nice but I may be off base with that. It's been a while and I couldn't find a Dixon in our lineup here.

Latest posts

Sponsors