Question: What next?

LVCIAN

So this is a really wide open question, which I dislike putting on you all, but I'm trying to understand my next steps.

I got into engraving about a year ago, learning hand push. I've since upgraded my tools and have a pretty outstanding rig.

I've invested in a host of engraving books. I'm studying pretty religiously, I make as much time as possible to practice with both pencil and graver.

I've got a couple of projects going at any given time. I've taken basic engraving at GRSTC earlier this year.

I'm seeing a lot of improvement in my own work, but I'm a bit afraid of a plateau and want to keep moving forward.

So, for those of you with experince and an opinion... What's next? Where should I be going from here?

I'm happy to share some more of my work, if you'd like to make a more informed comment, but a good portion of it is posted here in the forum already.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I understand your dilemma as I had reached a plateau of learning early in my engraving career, one I thought was impassible. What got me over the "hump" was intensive instruction from a very experienced and knowledgeable professional engraver (Rex Petersen) at GRS in Emporia, KS. There are numerous qualified professional engravers here who give intense instructions at their home or place of business and the costs are very reasonable for their time and individual instruction. If you want to continue engraving, take a course to help you through whatever it is confounding you and move on. Of course, only you can determine what you wish to do.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
American scroll ,English fine scroll, Blackleaf ,German ,lettering, Gold silver copper inlay, sculpting ,image software ,finishes ,workholding ,sharpening ,geometries ,yadayadayada. As you continue to improve and do more complicated work, you'll be a long time reaching any plateau in your work. That is ,if you continue to want to improve and do more. I guess you could do just one style of scroll on stainless steel only. Just watch out and don't forget and let slack any learning you've already done. It seems I did a lot of bulino and English fine scroll and sort of had to re-learn some simple scrolls when I went back to that. The more you do the more you'll realize how much you still need to learn... and retain !

LVCIAN

I guess that is the Crux of the question.

Right now, the field is large enough I can go in any direction from here, and I have no concept of what I don't know yet.

I'd like to improve my design abilities, I've been doing some jewelery work, gun and knife engrave have a lot of appeal.

I'm saving my dimes and vacation days for another week at GRSTC next year. But beyond that, no idea. I will keep doing what I am doing, but as a goal oriented person a path of any kind would help.

Maybe a better question would be, what are some good goals to set for myself?

And thank you for the advice about personal instruction. I will definitely look into it.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi LVCIAN,
I do not know how old are you but I guess you are young... so I would set my goal high enough to keep me away of falling in any plateau.
What about visiting the FEGA site and look for all the requirement for the "practice" plate you have to submit to the judges to become a Master Engraver?
Those plates are wonderful works of art so when you will be able to properly do one of those, with scrolls, letters, inlays, bulino and so on you are done!... :)
I am not suggesting you to apply in anyway, just telling that you can take all those requirement as a guide for what to do next once you will be proficient in one technique.
All the very best!
Leonardo

Andrew Biggs

gun and knife engrave have a lot of appeal.

Then do it!!! :)

Classes, books, videos, tool collecting and endless soul searching is one thing............but none of that beats experience. And the only way to get experience is by doing it. And the more you do it, the better at it you get!!

Pick something that takes your fancy and go hard on it. :)

Cheers
Andrew

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
As was explained to me at my classes at GRS, there are plateaus. They usually are based on the number of hours you have spent cutting, 100, 200, 500, 1000 and so on. My wife complimented me today on the speed and quality of a buckle I cut. You don't necessarily have to choose one path. Knives are available in many qualities. You can buy them, embellish them and sell for much more than your cost. The same holds true with firearms, but you have to be aware of the laws involved.

The only way to get off the plateau is to keep cutting. It doesn't matter if it's jewelry, knives, guns or motorcycles or anything else. Just keep cutting.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Plateaus are part of the learning experience so what you're experiencing is something we've all been through. Back in the day before the internet, we only got to see each other's work at shows, and attending those shows built a fire under me and I couldn't wait to get back to my bench and kick it up a few notches and make my work better. So I would suggest attending the FEGA show, knife shows, gun shows, or anywhere else you can see high quality engraving.

In the mean time, as you get better at drawing you will instantly see advances in your work. That's something you can do in the comfort of your home. As your designs get better your engraving gets better and pretty soon you leap from that plateau and onto better engraving.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with all that has been said so far - especially the drawing aspect. I would like to mention something else and that is the practice of critical thinking. By this I do not mean just to be critical of your work or to be critical of the work of others. I mean problem solving. When I was young I practiced playing the flute. A lot. 6 hours a day or more in high school and more in college. One of the things I was taught was to really "see" or in that case "hear" what I was doing. For example, if I could play an entire passage except for 2 measures in the middle - that 2 measures was what I had to concentrate on. Once I broke down what exactly was wrong with that small 2 measures and figured out how to play it with ease then I could incorporate it into the entire passage and move to the next "worst" thing in the piece. By looking for the problem areas - using logic - over time - I learned how to practice and it is a skill I use today in all parts of my life. That was the real gem in what my teacher was trying to convey. She taught me to how to learn by problem solving the little things.

So how does this apply to you and your plateau? What would you like to do better in your work? One particular thing to start? Shading? Cleaner cuts? Design? Technique? For example - if it is shading then you could cut the same scroll pattern on 5 practice plates and do one a day. When you are finished put the plate in a drawer and don't look at it until the last one is done. Then put them side by side. You will be drawn to one of them, or perhaps parts of one and another part of a different plate. Why? What happened in the "more attractive" area that didn't occur in the parts that you are not attracted to as much? This may take you a while to 1) do the plates and 2) really think about and analyze what happened. Once you start to break down the areas you want to improve you will be able to identify what needs to be done and then figure out how to get there.

I know this is a little more theoretical than usually occurs here on the forum. Engraving is a long term love for many of us and hopefully you will work through the frustration of a plateau - which does happen to everyone - and continue with joy.

LVCIAN

Thank you all. I really appreciate the guidance.
And the encouragement.

I guess there is only an infinite things left to do... :p

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i agree with everything Tira said and would add that, at this stage of the game, you should let an experienced engraver review your work and tell you what needs more practice. when you're just starting out, it's often difficult to recognize what you're doing wrong.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch makes a great point and one that I regret not seeking out early in my career. It will make all the difference. Just be very careful in who you use for a sounding board.
As for the plateau, they are a normal part of the process. I've learned to let the work progress as it naturally seems to. Plateaus are the time you use to work on the fundamentals you have already established. Work around what you know up to that point and refine it. Don't force new style or technique if it's not time.
There naturally comes a point where something will inject itself into your world that Spurs you on to the next step. Explore these new options as they occur but never be afraid to slow down. One of the biggest mistakes I see, and I was certainly guilty of this myself, is trying to move too far too fast. When you do this the work suffers. I see it a lot in younger engravers who have grown up with information overload.
Keep it up and enjoy the process.

Latest posts

Sponsors