Wild Bill Hickok 1851 navy

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I have a customer that wants his colt navy replicas engraved like Wild Bill's the customer portrays Wild Bill at old Abilene Town in Abilene Ks. I have searched for good photos of the original. I have several books with the revolver and dead mans hand but I want to see more. Is there a book with photos all around the gun? Just thought someone here would be able to steer me in right direction.
Thanks, Leland

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I have a customer that wants his colt navy replicas engraved like Wild Bill's the customer portrays Wild Bill at old Abilene Town in Abilene Ks. I have searched for good photos of the original. I have several books with the revolver and dead mans hand but I want to see more. Is there a book with photos all around the gun? Just thought someone here would be able to steer me in right direction.
Thanks, Leland

I don't know, but my supposition is that his (Hickock's) were factory engraved. I wouldn't think that they had the dead man's hand. Didn't that come about because of him>

Might check with Reuters to see if they have photo's. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-wildwest-gun-idUSBRE9AH0G320131119

Last edited:

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, tdelewis and diandwill I have looked at then Italian copies just don't know how accurate they are, and the photo I am talking about is in the Wilson books the gun is photographed with cards the deadmans hand. Are the photos you posted from the Gene Autry Museum?
Thanks, Leland

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I believe that this is reputed to be one of JBH's Navy Colt's. There are probably many questionable examples in various collections.

Attachments

• 1851 Navy #98220-L.jpg
    1851 Navy #98220-L.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 1851 Navy #98220-Lcu.jpg
    1851 Navy #98220-Lcu.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 1851 Navy #98220-Rcu.jpg
    1851 Navy #98220-Rcu.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 149

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, tdelewis and diandwill I have looked at then Italian copies just don't know how accurate they are, and the photo I am talking about is in the Wilson books the gun is photographed with cards the deadmans hand. Are the photos you posted from the Gene Autry Museum?
Thanks, Leland

I did a google image search.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Roger, That is the best photos I have seen. The Gene Autry museum has one of the pair the other one is unaccounted for at least that is what I read it was on the internet it has to be true.LOL
Thanks again, Leland

Sponsors