Ornamental arabesque study

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Really cool Sam! I assume that you did it in Procreate, so I was wondering how did you do the fine horizontal lines in the background? They are so even. Was it a "brush" that you created or some other technique?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Really cool Sam! I assume that you did it in Procreate, so I was wondering how did you do the fine horizontal lines in the background? They are so even. Was it a "brush" that you created or some other technique?

I drew one line, duplicated the layer, moved it down a bit, then merged those layers. I kept repeating that process until I had enough lines to cover the spaced I needed.

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
I like it!

Hello Sam,
Flawless, impeccable and a great study that improves on J.M. Bergling, Karl Klimsch and F. Knight's ornamental designs.
I think if they had the tools we have today they would not of drew the shadows different from one side to the other when they mirrored the pattern. Too much more work!
Mark :thumbsup:

celticjohn

shading close up.jpg shading1.jpg
I'm going to have a go at that too.
That'll take a while to execute. I'll maybe do an hour a night on this.

Cheers Sam.
Well I put an hour or so in when I had the time. It was really just to give me something concrete to complete. I tend to just do lettering. Scrolls, leaves and shading don't come up often.
I've still some way to go to finish it. There's about 7 hours in it so far and the same again to finish the outer work and I've noticed some missing elements when photographing.
Great task to attempt. Thanks again Sam.

Latest posts

Sponsors