Belt Buckle Back Hardware

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Hi - I've spent tons of time online trying to find a decent setup for back hardware a flat buckle I'm making. Seems that the items I planned to buy are unobtainium.

The only thing I can find are some crappy zinc stampings, and I doubt they'd survive the soldering process. I'm not a metal worker, and past some sawing I really would prefer not to get into it.

Does anyone have a source? Tandy, Steve's, etc. don't have anything that I can find.

Thanks, Bob

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Are you talking about the wire parts? I used welding rod stock that is 1/8" in diameter. I made a jig to bend the wide U shaped hinge out of hardwood. The tongue was done basically the same way.

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
With limited access to equipment, I'll have to use soldering, not welding - so, the more surface area, the better. I'm familiar with the rod/wire methods, but a plate would be more secure, correct?

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
Something like this seems to be about the best I can find on the web; again, zinc, so I'm doubtful it would survive the process. Most examples seem to be screwed or epoxied.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 129

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I have had success with the buckle back and peg setup similar to the style available at Indian Jewelers supply.
http://www.ijsinc.com/

Also, the buckle back pictured in the earlier posting is available in steel with either a zinc or brass finish from Rio Grande.

Good Luck!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've done over 1500 buckles over the years. i have had only one come back with a d-ring or hook failure. make yer own. made of wire, with good soldering techniques, there's no reason for failure. i make mine of wire, retained by 2 short pieces of tubing. true-- larger surface area should be somewhat stronger. but the extra not needed for a buckle. jmho

Latest posts

Sponsors