Question: Carving/Sculpting Hobo Nickels

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
When Hobo Nickels are carved/sculpted is it basically a metal removal process, or is metal moved to build up selected areas? I don't think it's the latter, but when I look at some carvings it appears that way.

I understand there's more to carving than what's included in my question, but no questions there.

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
Someone just posted a few weeks ago about the Japanese inlay technique they used to make a raised brass cricket on a coin.
If you inlaid the same color metal it would look like a build-up technique.

But to answer your specific question, the vast majority of nickles are only carved away, not built up or metal moved around.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Myself and quite a few other coin carvers will move metal on a coin as well as remove. Some of the higher quality coin carving has had some micro burnishing for details. One can also inlay more metal for a particular design. The original style of work was punches and cutting. It's a fascinating art using any and all techniques to achieve the desired look or effect. Have fun, lol, it's only a nickel.
Mark

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Eric & Mark.

I will have to learn how to move metal.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i did a few way back when. the only engraving that was a greater challenge was doing lettering other than script. if you're considering doing them, be prepared to make some of your own tools. much more convenient using tiny tools than standard gravers. look up the work of "billzack". this will inspire anyone wanting to give hobos a try

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On Lindsay's site there is a tutorial by Steve Ellsworth on making hobo nickels, good info MTC

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
On Lindsay's site there is a tutorial by Steve Ellsworth on making hobo nickels, good info MTC

Thanks Dave. Very good tutorial. I also have mrthe's skull DVD.

Neither cover how to move metal, particularly the tool. I think something like Carl Bleile's scraping tool on the Lindsay site would work.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Also check out Ron Landis work, screen name scratchmo I think

I remember the name scratchmo, but nothing came up searching. I did find a really great tutorial by tsterling, " Yellow Jacket Hobo Nickel Tutorial". He does a beautiful carving with a gold inlay. Doesn't move any metal.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks Dave. Very good tutorial. I also have mrthe's skull DVD.

Neither cover how to move metal, particularly the tool. I think something like Carl Bleile's scraping tool on the Lindsay site would work.

Sam Alfano did a wonderful seminar on sculpting by the metal displacement method at the 2016 FEGA show in Las Vegas.
The Video is available for sale from FEGA at www.fega.com and shows the tools he uses.