HELP!! Can't figure out how to engrave rings.

The past couple of days I have been trying to practice engraving on rings and I just can't seem to work it as it keeps slipping. I don't know if I will need to have a different heel/degree or if there is a certain way to engrave on rings as it always changes the angle for engraving. I appreciate any tips or what I could do to change the slipping.

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
One tip I learned at the GRS class was that a narrower point (105 instead of 120 degrees) is easier to control on curved surfaces.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
are you trying to engrave on the outside or inside? those are very different situations.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am trying to engrave the outside of the ring.

practice. lots and lots of practice. rings have tight curves in one dimension and tighter curves in the other, AND the curvature is constantly changing. no substitute for experience. IF you're using a holding fixture that provides some clearance around the ring (as opposed to just clamping it down low between the vise jaws), you may have better luck with a lower heel, say 10 degrees instead of the more usual 15. some of the 'heel' angle is being compensated for by the curvature of the ring itself.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Definitely a fixture is needed, sont just clamp itnin the vise jaws, it becomes difficult to work with if you do

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i never did much ring work. i did buy a grs ring holder that uses collets to clamp inside the ring. works ok for outside work. there may be a used one in "buy & sell"