Starrett 2" dividers

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've used Starrett for years and they were the standard to be judged. Last year I got a pair of Alextools dividers and LOVE them! Now.. I am the first to admit I am "thrifty". Most people call it cheap... But I do know the value of quality tools. To be honest when I first saw these I thought the price was insane but I had a chance to use a pair for a day and by the end of the day I owned a set of my own. I remember in 1984 buying a Gravermax with 2 handpieces for $608.00 which was a lot of money then. I still have the machine and can get much more for it than I paid. That is value! I only wished they made the dividers 30 years ago so I could have used them all these years.
For my use I like the Alextools because they have replaceable tips. I just use old rotary burs reground. For me I also like the fact I can have one leg "longer" then another to scribe around the edge of an object. I have long ago forgot how much these cost over how much I enjoy using them.
Alextool dividers

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
Lufkin tools,

My understanding is that Lufkin tools went out of real business in the early sixties unfortunately.
I have a number of old Lufkin tools and the quality IMHO exceeds Starrett tools (slightly).
Anything new branded Lufkin is just in name.

Jkasal

Sam, you need to stop posting, i own 6 already!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Care to sell one to a fellow in need? I've been searching for 2 inch dividers for years now. It seems that I am always late to the party when Sam gives us all a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've used Starrett for years and they were the standard to be judged. Last year I got a pair of Alextools dividers and LOVE them! Now.. I am the first to admit I am "thrifty". Most people call it cheap... But I do know the value of quality tools. To be honest when I first saw these I thought the price was insane but I had a chance to use a pair for a day and by the end of the day I owned a set of my own. I remember in 1984 buying a Gravermax with 2 handpieces for $608.00 which was a lot of money then. I still have the machine and can get much more for it than I paid. That is value! I only wished they made the dividers 30 years ago so I could have used them all these years.
For my use I like the Alextools because they have replaceable tips. I just use old rotary burs reground. For me I also like the fact I can have one leg "longer" then another to scribe around the edge of an object. I have long ago forgot how much these cost over how much I enjoy using them.
Alextool dividers

I have Alexandre's as well. I guess I'm just so comfy with the Starretts that I prefer them over anything else, but the Alexandre dividers are absolutely excellent. I should probably give them another go.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
His special points are good for stone setting but I made my own for scribing. One point is sharp and the other is a "burnish" point that doesn't dig into the metal. Plus being able to drop a point lower is nice for border work.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Care to sell one to a fellow in need? I've been searching for 2 inch dividers for years now. It seems that I am always late to the party when Sam gives us all a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starrett 2 Inch Round Leg Divider & 2 1/2 Inch Flat Inside Caliper
Ebay

Brown & Sharp also make 2" round leg dividers, which is what I use.... you can find them often if you look.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
My favorite pair are 2" made by Consolidated Tool Co, and belonged to a friend's grandfather who was a machinist. I've never seen another pair. They are quite old.

Sam

Staff member
Sam,

What is it that makes them your favorite ?

They're no better than the Starretts, but I've used them for 35 years so I guess that's the reason. Just sentimental. They're really old with a dark patina and my friend at New Orleans Arms gave them to me back in the day.

Latest posts

Sponsors