Question: Holding the Graver for a Lefty!

filashoes

So I have done a lot of searches on the general web for how a lefty should hold a graver, to find out if it differs from a right handed person or not. I have not come up with anything and wondering if anyone may have some suggestions.

I will say that generally lefties hold writing implements much differently (upside down usually) compared to right handed folks. I must add that I am completely new to hand engraving and trying to learn on some scrap pieces (not a very successful start).

I was lucky and have probably more equipment than I will ever need (bought it all from an estate sale from a fellow lapidary club member).

Now just figuring out how to make sure I use this stuff to add even more depth to my lapidary art and silversmithing.

Thanks ahead for any help.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I am a lefty and engrave just like a righty only with my left hand :) With engraving it is all about posture. If you have bad posture and try to hold your graver/hand piece any other way you will not have a easy go of it. Having said that, I have seen many Japanese engravers hold their gravers/chisels above to the top and hammer from that direction...I would be UN-successful at that :) You will adjust in a few days. This is not like writing for us. Once you figure out that the left hand actually moves very little and that you are turing your vise into the graver tip with your right hand it will make more sense. You will roll your left hand to and flourishes and the like but no engraving upside down from the top;)

I did reply assuming you were referring to a air-assisted engraving system. If its hammer and chisel....still the same as a righty :) ..................at least thats how it all works for me.....

Don

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
copy the fotos of how people hold their gravers. take the fotos and reverse them in your software. i think, keyword "think", may be a bit of help.

filashoes

Thanks for the input.

Donny, to answer your question about this being an air assist, it is not, all just hand engraving. Not using hammer and chisel either. Working softer metals like silver, copper, brass, slowly get into gold (perhaps when I get better).

So I have been forcing myself to hold the graver as identified by several folks online for right handed folks.

I find that my index finger instead of my thumb wants to be the guide and of course I am getting runaway gravers I suspect because of this.

Looking for a class to take to maybe get me on the right track for a start. Not too many offered in NorCal for me to take. I have one lapidary member that may be able to help me out.

Thanks again.

sparklemotion

I am a lifelong lefty, but newbie engraver, so please take this with a grain of salt.

A lot of how lefties learn to write is influenced by the fact that the progress of writing goes from the left to the right. Unless we do something (the hook, the paper tilt, the overwrite, etc) we will obscure our view of what we are writing (at best) and/or smudge the text to illegibility (at worst).

In the engraving world, however, there is no left-to-right order. The engraver is free to work on elements in whichever sequence works best for her. So there is no reason why a lefty's grip on the graver should be any different than those of the less blessed orientation.

That being said, the fact that the graver is being held in the opposite hand does affect the direction that the graver is pointing into the work. From my understanding of hand-push engraving, the goal is to primarily be turning the work into the graver (as opposed to pushing the graver into the work).

This means that for righties, the work will ideally be turned clockwise, most of the time. But, for us, the "easy" direction is counterclockwise.

So, if I were you, I'd work on forcing your thumb to be the guide (it is somewhat unnatural), but remember that if you're following along with a video or other tutorial by a righty, you might want to turn your work upside down relative to them, so that you can cut counterclockwise more often.

Last edited:

filashoes

Sparklemotion,

That was some very good advise. Thank you!

The fact that had slipped by my review of videos and reading is the fact that the vise is turned into the graver.

I have been chasing the work with the graver which come to think of it has caused me to slip on any number of occasions.

Excellent advise thank you.

And, just to let you all know I found a member of the lapidary club that has some pretty good knowledge of hand engraving that may be able to provide me some basic training.

Its a start!

sparklemotion

I'm glad that you have found an in person mentor -- I'm still looking for one, or a local class as well. For now, I'm stuck with what videos are available online.

I am pretty sure that I first got the tip about turning the work into the graver from Sam's Hand Push Engraving video on Youtube. Especially right around 3:30 (there are some good tips for how to hold the graver just before that as well).

[video]https://youtu.be/FhKSjzwdsdA?t=3m30s[/video]

aleks177

Actually in many respects it is even easier for the lefthander. If a tip of a foredom in the left hand, then sawdust flies not to a face, and afar why the risk decreases to litter an eye
I hold the engraving hammer in the left hand, and a chisel in right, ( But at the same time, when I repair something in the backyard, I hold the carpenter's hammer in right or left hand, without thinking of it) very unusual successful fellow. But who - from has told long ago that it is important not as you holds the tool that turns out during the work with it as a result.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fellow Letty

I'm lefty but I was taught to engrave in my right hand. It feels very natural if you start off that way. It would feel very awkward for me to engrave with my left hand. Since one is new to engraving the right hand is often capable of taking on the new task even though you are a lefty.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm a little unusual in that I'm ambidextrous, although primarily right handed. When needed I can just switch hands to do what is necessary, and the tool is held exactly the same way, only in reverse. The tool is still located in the fleshy part of the palm with the fingers "lightly" wrapped around the graver, supported somewhat with the thumb. It is not a big deal, just something different than what we're used to.

Bill

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
You might try watching videos, etc., reflected in a mirror, literally. Hold a hand mirror, or position one in a holder/stand, angled so you can comfortably watch the reflected image in the mirror and the image will look exactly as if a lefty were doing the engraving.

Best regards,
Doug

Sponsors