Help, please: Drawplate for Wire Inlays

I just purchased my first draw plate for drawing my wire for inlays, to add it is tungsten carbide as I've read that is the preferred draw plate material to use. I was curious what people were using for oiling/lubing the draw plate to make the drawing process easier. Any and all advice welcomed.

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
I just put a drop of regular old 3-in-one oil between my index finger and thumb and run the wire between them to lightly lube the entire length.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Simplest way I have ever found is to find yourself a clothespin and some felt, a cotton ball or just folded/wadded paper towel.

Put a few drops of your preferred lube on the material, set it in front of the hole you are using and secure it with the clothespin to the drawplate.

Pull the wire right through the lube as you go...

Other than that method, rubbing the wire over a paraffin candle stub or beeswax before you draw is my second choice.

Both work well.

Brian

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
That's THREE toilet products that get re-purposed in our shops... so far.

The bowl cleaner for getting French grey, the TP roll I keep at hand for wiping off transfer liquid & oil, and the seal wax, which I never used for a lube, but DID use for making diamond magnets...

B.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not that it makes any difference, but toilet bowl seals are no longer beeswax and haven't been for some time. They are an artificially made silicone wax.

Simplest way I have ever found is to find yourself a clothespin and some felt, a cotton ball or just folded/wadded paper towel.

Put a few drops of your preferred lube on the material, set it in front of the hole you are using and secure it with the clothespin to the drawplate.

Pull the wire right through the lube as you go...

Brian

Definitely going to try this out tonight when I'm in the shop. Thanks for the insight everyone!

Latest posts

Sponsors