Question: High Polish

What do you guys/gals use for high polishing your gravers for bright cutting?

I have been using silicon discs for now because my budget prevents me from getting a ceramic powerhone lap however i was curious as to what others use.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
If you have one of the GRS sharpening boxes, I use something that Sam mentioned a while ago. I use a 3m pink diamond lapping disc which has an adhesive back and is put on a plain steel wheel from GRS. I engrave a lot of jewelry and this brings all my tools to a mirror finish while keeping the cutting edge sharp. They're not cheap at about 16 dollars each, but if you are careful with them they last a while. I get all three sides of the graver mirror polished in less than a minute, there's no wheel to clean and no diamond spray to buy. For me its been great.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
I use a geswein ruby stone I bought years ago.
One side is slightly rough, the other smooth.
Puts a high polish on even carbide fairly swiftly.
They are not cheap, but never wear down.
Cuts are very bright on steel etc.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
With the Lindsey Sharpening system (individual diamond stones and sharpening templates), when I first started out, I used diamond paste on a brass plate (using the Lindsey sharpening system). You simply smear on a small amount of the paste onto the brass plate. Once the brass plate is "charged" with the paste, simply rub the graver on the plate until the desired finish is obtained. Im now using a spinning iron disk with the same paste to "charge" the disk...works great. Once the graver is ground with 2000 grit diamond disk, I then change out to the iron disk and polish the heal and face .

Below is one location where you can acquire diamond paste....tho Im sure there are others.
https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/...UzREj0fDBrJuJUKNpoOpliBgFm29Co_LA_xoCZijw_wcB

Last edited:

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Attached is a photo of the setup...note brass plate on table and diamond charged plate on diamond stone.
BTW I tried to rotate photo but "no joy"... but you should be able to get the idea of what I am describing.

Attachments

• IMG_9320.jpg
    IMG_9320.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

WSammut

Idk if they have a special name but its a special yellow rubber wheel for your flex shaft. It is quite a bit more expensive then normal rubber wheels but cheaper then a whole power home setup. Don't use it myself anymore as I have a power home but previously used them where I used to work

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Probably talking about Dedeco Gold wheels. They will polish but will also round a point. All the other methods above will work very well. I've used all of them at one time or another.

wdale.bass

take one of your diamond wheels & if it is a solid one( or order a blank from GRS) using double-sided tape,cover it with ,1500,2000 or 4-0 Sandpaper.when it "tears" just replace it. This is what I've used for years for polishing those pesky bright cutters for Western engraving.

Sponsors