Practice Plate

deazyner

After a number of years of interest in engraving and following this forum I was finally able to purchase a Lindsay Classic and begin trying it out. I found a pattern that Steve posted for practice and figured I'd multiply it on a 2 x 2 plate and get four times the amount. I also included an image to try different techniques. Thanks to all that generously share information with others. Any tips for improvement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

Attachments

• Practice Plate small high res.jpg
    Practice Plate small high res.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

deazyner

Thanks for the comments guys. I don't yet have the confidence to engrave anything worth selling but hopefully that will come in the not so distant future. This practice plate was a great learning exercise. I actually purchased a Gravermax about ten years ago but, when life got in the way, had to sell it before having much of a chance to use it. I maintained an interest in the art and continued to follow the forum and read all the information I could. In addition, I purchased Sam's scroll engraving video and Ron Smith's scroll drawing book each of which is a tremendous resource. We beginners are so lucky that the pioneers have shared information so generously- information that they worked hard to figure out on their own. Its cool to finally put graver to metal and try out all the info I've previously only read about. On this plate, I experimented with different graver geometries and ended up favoring the 116 Lindsay grind for outlines and shading. The background removal gave me a whole new appreciation for what it takes to create a deep,level and dark background. I originally started with a sharpened point for stippling but found the squared point of the Roland Baptiste grind made a noticeably darker background. I removed the background by making V cuts and then leveling with a flat. I tried out an air turbine rotary tool and , just like we were warned, proceeded to put a hole where it didn't belong! I can't believe how fast that thing can chew up metal. I then purchased a micromotor from Woodcarverssupply that Ray Cover had recommended years ago and had much better luck controlling it. I purchased a few castings from the FEGA site and was somewhat relieved that the backgrounds were not as deep as what I attempted meaning I don't necessarily have go as deep next time and still get a nice look. The skull was an entirely different challenge. I first thought I would try cutting dots but soon realized I didn't have the patience to continue. I then tried hand pushing a Coggan bulino grind and had better luck cutting straight lines. My next practice challenge will be to create my own design on something with a bit more shape than a square plate. Thanks again.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
your engraving is great. you do need practice on marketing what you do. once that's done, yer work will speak for itself.