Okay! Humbility Time

preachinpilot

Humbility is a word I just made up while perusing the pictures of various engravers I've watched for a spell. I looked back and saw the improvement and changes in design and ability. Some nmay think that Sam Alfano, Drain, Didyoung were born with engraving tools in their hands but I assure all the beginners like me, they all started with a deep breath. So Humbility is my word for putting a picture of something I know is not very good, opening myself up for some good old fashioned critique, and to leave a trail of progress. So here I go.

Attachments

• 20170613_151927.jpg
    20170613_151927.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 418

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Preachinpilot,
I'm in your boat, still haven't done a picture post. I like the taper you're getting on your shade lines. I'll through out an observation and keep in mind I'm no expert, but the right half oF the design seems heavy, by that I mean not enough negative space compared to the left half. I'll let others with better skills than I do further critiques. Keep on posting ,you are inspiring me to try and figure out how to post a picture.
Cheers
Don

Eric Olson

Elite Cafe Member
The first stage in designing for "classic" engraving is to fill an area with scrolls. Then, when your scrolls (the "backbones") are nice and even and go all the way to the edges of your "area", fill in with leaves.
If you have a sketchbook, take your pencil divide a page up into a bunch of random shapes, maybe 2" at the largest, some triangles, some 4-5 sided, etc.
Practice filling each shape with nice even scrolls. After 2-3 pages you'll be surprised at how much easier it gets to "see ahead" when you're laying out a design.

Also in the early stages, "less is more" when it comes to design. Leave out the overlaps and fold-overs for now. Practice shading to get a nice 3-d effect first. If you look at some of the most beautiful work shown here, much of it does not have any overlaps or fold-overs, and also much of it is just the same "boring" leaf pattern done over and over in a very rhythmic fashion.

preachinpilot

P.S I noticed that only an optical illusion but when I used a very fine graver face, I cut fine lines and a large graver face tended to make me cut big lines. Thanks

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Preacher, I'm not one to critique but, on first glance at your photo, I was thinking I was looking at some sculpting. I like the heavy, dark outlines of the leaves. It seems to give a ton of depth to your work. I see what Don is talking about the negative space and agree but, I really like the big leaves and the dark lining of them. Thanks for posting, Mark

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice, well beyond my ability to critique your technique.
My only thing is the diagonal straight line in the right hand leaf. ( Though technically a fold line in the leaf probably would be fairly straight...)
I think a tighter curve downwards to the left would flow a little better.
But your shading is great!

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Coming along very nicely. At this point you'll pick up the finer points of design as you go. In this case notice that all the leaves on the right are a bit straightish and you have a nice well formed scroll on the left? Another thought is that those leaves are leading up and to the right while the scroll heads to the left. These are just the little things that make up good design. You've learned to cut, the rest can be done in graphite. Rememember that engraving is just a method of applying to metal what you've already designed in pencil. Keep it up. You are doing great.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you got some good comments from Layne. in addition, I would question the size of what your doing. Based on the vise jaws, it looks like this piece is belt buckle sized. Which means your scroll size is HUGE in relation to gun, knife or jewelry work. . Not much point in practicing something that has no real application.