Phillippe Grifnee?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Mitch,
I will PM you an email address for Eric Grifnee, Phil's brother.
He may have records or knowledge of this rifle if Phil engraved it.
Don't recall seeing it in his photo album but I'm sure he didn't include all his work in his books.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my opinion: if Phil did do it, it would have to have been a very, very early piece.
Unless it's signed or, there is other Provence indicating he did it I'd be somewhat skeptical.

WL

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Apparently, Tony Galazan or one of his people has reason to believe that the gun was engraved by Phil. The first thing is to contact CSMC and ask them how they came to the conclusion that it is Phil's work. I enlarged the images and can not see Phil's signature but that doesn't mean that it is not signed somewhere. I know that Phil was very good about signing his work and that he did cut guns for Dumoulin over the years. We don't normally associate oak leaf engraving with Phil because he's well known for his sculpted relief scroll but I would not rule out that Phil engraved that gun. A simple call to CSMC might tell you all you need to know.

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil was a very prolific engraver. I'm humbled and honored to say that I spent a lot of time in his shop over 4 or 5 visits. He had a bunch of large photo albums of his work across the decades. Maybe there was 5 or 6 of them. Maybe there was8 or 9 of them. And they were jammed full of pics of many guns in many styles. Sure this gun is not his signature style. But how many hundreds of guns did he do before that signature style evolved? And it's not his best work. But a lot of his early factory work was probably more about moving the products out a given price level. I wouldn't bet for or against it. As Roger said the best bet is to ask CSMC what provenance they have.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
according to the client, the double square bridge dates this Dumoulin to post-2000, so less than 20 yrs old. that rules out "early work". i can't say whether it also rules out any 'down & dirty', crank it out production job, but it seems to me that even that would be better cut, if not better designed. who knows- maybe he just did the elk on the floorplate, which appears of better quality?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Mitch,
One of the most renowned FN trained Belgium engravers made this analogy for me.
" If I was a Baker every day I make good bread. Now and then I get to make a Wedding Cake."
They were very fast, efficient and practical and looked at engraving in a different way than most modern American engravers.
Most of them did not believe that every piece of work required or called for their utmost skill.
They separated ART guns from well decorated guns and most had no problem with this.
And many did a lot of nice quick unsigned work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors