Help, please: Hard titanium to cut

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've done a series of 6AL4V knives for William Henry. It was quite a learning curve. What finally worked for me was a carbide with a 55 degree face, a 120 degree geometry with parallel heels, dub the tip straight down (holding it vertical). All geometry was finished to a mirror finish on a ceramic stone charged with diamond spray. Use a higher speed (less impact per hit). What I learned from the project most was how to keep the tool tip in line with the back of the tool. Once I finally got over the "professional sharpener" trauma I could actually cut sometimes for over an hour without breaking the tool and this was with background removal and gold inlay prep. I think the parallel heels allow the graver to turn better without binding - and that was when the break would happen.

One other very important thing with this hard titanium - which was mentioned above - vibration is not your friend. Make sure the knife is secured as well as you can. I used an aluminum brick - almost actual brick size - that I super glue the scales to. It minimized the vibration and allowed me to work on concentrating on the tool path. As hard as that project was I really did like titanium after I figured it out. There is something spectacular in finishing an item that if lost in a creek or buried in the sand will be almost in tact when it is found. The project also made me a much better engraver. I thought I had tool control before the titanium. After I was surprised how much fighting through the titanium helped me. Good luck.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I have engraved some very tough Kershaw knives that I think may have been 6al4v. I used Lindsay carbalt and M42 gravers. I dipped the gravers lightly into a sponge with Tap Magic cutting fluid. The oil plays havoc with the layout but I used a light coating of Grumbacher fixative and that really helps. I used a 105 V point and dubbed the tip. I experimented with quite a few dubbing variations before I found something that held up for at least several cuts before chipping and sometimes longer. Overall the job came out pretty nice but of course it takes a bit longer. Good luck!

i have had the same thing happen to me with kershaw, 55 face and 20 heal tap magic and a lot of resharping time. Skill comes from Diligence.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Tira... and everyone else who commented. The advice saved me probably 6 hours.

I found the work actually twice as easy using the palm control to the foot control. I upped the air pressure to 70psi. Does anyone actually use their Palm Control Classic at 120psi like the manual says it can? It's lower for the foot control.

Superglue seemed to work better than thermoloc.

I liked the 120 v CMAX without lube because dry every cut is the same as the last, with lube the first cut goes deep and easy and the next one not so much, a few cuts in I'm struggling and then I lube again and dive in deeper than I meant to again.

The fastest method for background removal was not beveling first, just going straight in with the flat graver that was slightly wider than it needed to be to get to the middle of the triangle.

I'll put a picture up when the maker gets the knife together.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh and Brian...
"Takes a few years to figure out that those kinds of customers are playing you... don't let 'em. You CAN afford to "lose" a job now and then. "

I had a customer in the shop the other day trying to beat me down on the price of a watch band, he was asking me, the employee, to be charitable and told me that you can't let the customer walk out the door without a sale because then you don't make anything. I just thought, yes I can. He kept me talking politely for ten or fifteen minutes but I refused to sell him anything for less than we paid for it.

I did get paid for this job without troubles. I haven't had any serious issues yet, a fun customer maybe but I can't complain.

I've been at this a while though, and I can say that Titanium doesn't cut quickly or easily, but I still like using it. I'm keen to try C1 or 2 and see how that cuts

Latest posts

Sponsors