Lindsay handpiece questions

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Can anyone tell me... with the current models of Lindsay's handpieces, the artisan, foot control classic and palm control classic.
Can you use the same piston throughout all?
What pressures do you usually feed into them?
How do you get the most out of using them?
Do you use different pressure with different pistons?

Thanks.

Danae.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
your best bet would be to ask on...the "other" forum...

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Can anyone tell me... with the current models of Lindsay's handpieces, the artisan, foot control classic and palm control classic.
Can you use the same piston throughout all?
What pressures do you usually feed into them?
How do you get the most out of using them?
Do you use different pressure with different pistons?

Thanks.

Danae.

The Classic models use the same pistons. The Nitro G20 piston is a different size. Not sure if the Artisan and Classic pistons are interchangeable.

I use either 35 psi or 60 psi in my Palm Control Classic. I have three pistons for it, ultralight, standard and tungsten. I personally like the tungsten piston best, but then I drive hard. I even use the tungsten piston for small amount of shading or gold inlay trim lines, but swap it out for the ultralight if there's a lot of shading to be done (I'm lazy, and I'm usually cutting and sculpting pretty hard stuff - steel and titanium, and I don't do much scroll).

I use 90 psi most often in my foot control Nitro G20, but I use it mostly for sculpting and stippling.

The Classic models are the most flexible. Between the three available pistons, air pressure and stroke collar adjustment, there's a huge range of options. For very fine shading, I like 35 psi, ultralight piston and short strokes. Cutting titanium, I use 60 psi, tungsten piston, and medium stroke length.

If you have a choice, get the Palm Control - it's like being able to control it with your mind...

Best of luck!

Tom

Jerry K

Elite Cafe Member
I would have to agree with Tom, the Classic Palm Control is the way to go if it fits your budget but you can get the same results with the foot control. I prefer the Palm Control because it's just that, palm control and having type II diabetes my feet don't need to be involved. I have GRS (hand control also), Enset and Palm Control and I use all three depending on how I feel at any given day. You may have figured out that I couldn't decide either so I got all three systems!
Just my two cents.
Jerry K.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
OK, I checked. I have a few loose pistons that I am not sure ever made it into production - so I left them out.

All 3 pistons currently made for the Classic (which is the same body as the PC) AND the Artisan function interchangeably - though I cannot recall every having used the lightweight one personally in the Artisan?

Tom already answered the pressure question, my only difference there is that I run 30 pounds for some of my smaller lettering...

Brian

TANGODOWN

You can call steve or email him directly on his website. He responds and send you really detailed info on each question you ask backed up by links to threads and webpages.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Classic, Artisan and Palm control all use the same piston. The G20 has a bigger barrel so it has a bigger piston. There are tungsten pistons available that are heavier than the stainless (stock) piston and wield a noticeably heavier blow.

Pressure depends on what you're cutting, I've used anywhere from 30 to 60.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks all. Yes I have always found Steve helpful and friendly. I thought there were quite a few Lindsay users here who would know and it's interesting hearing how different people use things and approach different jobs.

I am planning on doing some teaching in Australia so just got all three. I want to know what I am talking about when I teach people with them. I have been using the foot control classic almost exclusively since getting it. I like it, it's different.

What's the right Guage meant to be on? 60? I think I will try the three pistons I have in the artisan just to see the range that gives.

Latest posts

Sponsors