Zero Experience; looking for school

Lanfearha

I've carved wood for over 50 years, but have absolutely zero artistic talent and have to follow a pattern (Thank you Google...)

I really want to learn to engrave (the pieces on here are stunning, to say the least) and would like to find engraving classes in SE Pennsylvania or Delaware - anyone know of classes, clubs, etc.?

I'm assuming that with my lack of artistic ability (I can't even draw stick figures); I can engrave from patterns similiar to what I carve - any thoughts?

Thanks much.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome to the Café. I have no clue about the schools. But the artistic ability to draw can be learned. http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?23144-It-s-all-about-refining didyoung quote
It is amazing to see what others can draw and design with study and time spent practicing.
I can always find a new and interesting leaf design by just going back thru my old sketches and taking a fresh look at them.

Simplified, engraving is like woodcarving extremely low reliefs. I am also a woodcarver, but with no plans to be an engraver. I am "mining" ideas on this forum to help me improve my relief woodcarvings.

My suggestion is to get a notebook, I use the computer with copy and paste and keep the links. Start reading and take notes of what the people write about what works and what doesn't work. Didyoung has posted some great drawings to work with, as have others. When you see a critique, pay extra attention, that is where you can really get the "nuts ad bolts" of what looks good and what looks "okay".