Critique Request Gary's 1911

ghpayton

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
pistol.jpg gun.jpg 1911.jpg
With approximately 6 months combined experience and a long way to go.
I finally built up the courage to engrave my
Brazilian made 1911. Using Mike Dubber's
great artwork . I hope to develope my own style and artwork in time. For now I hope I did not screw his up too bad.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
better than anything i did at the 6 month mark... :graver:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You obviously have good control over your graver at this point. Now for the hard one, that pesky pencil.
I must ask what your experience was like cutting this Springfield regarding metal hardness. I did a small job on a stainless one years ago and swore I'd never touch one again. That was some nasty tough steel.

ghpayton

I spent alot of time resharpening gravers to the point of great frustration. Then I started experimenting with different graver geometry. I like to use a 105 degree graver mostly. But I was continually breaking points, alot of times immediately. So , I found what seemed to work best for me was , I would take a 105 graver and add relieving facets of 5 more degrees then the heel. Getting the heel added at the proper angle took some extra experimenting with the GRS Dual angle fixture. After all that , I found that a Face angle of 60 degrees helped also in strengthening the point. In doing all of this , I found that it caused my engraving hand to be elevated a little more and I had a better chance of not smearing are erasing my transfers. I have also found that adjusting the air presure makes a difference . Duh ! All of this is part of which makes engraving fun for me.
So I guess to answer your question , I seemed to run into hard spots and some places seemed to cut better. Me not having alot of experience , I do not have
much to compare . I am looking forward to that metal I have heard of that cuts like butter, lol. Oh yea ! that pencil. Thats another story. Thanks,

Last edited:

ghpayton

This 1911 is carbon steel . I had it bead blasted to remove the original coating, then letter filled with a clear cerakote finish.

Latest posts

Sponsors