Question: Scope upgrade

WSammut

Considering upgrading my scope from a used and abused one I found at a real deal on eBay and cannot find any information on restoring or getting parts for this brand.
Trying to decide between Meiji and Leica, or any other top quality brand and looking for opinions on which rout to take.
Also, are restored scopes worth the savings? I'm looking for something that will last me a while and be a good quality but I'm still on a bit of a budget. If so, any good trustworthy sources?
Side question: what's the opinion on those GRS block shelfs? Are they sturdy? I currently only doing jewelry scale engraving and using a drill press stand and feel it's overkill, gets in the way of me using my bench, and constantly loosing diamonds as I can't have my bench pan out under my work.
Many thanks for any advice on all this,
Jay

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
IMHO the Leica is the scope to get. It's revolutionary with sharpness, brightness, and depth of field. See my video review on Youtube.

The Meiji EMZ-5 is still an excellent microscope and there's no reason not to buy one. There are often used ones on the market since many engravers and setters have upgraded to the Leica, which his superior.

The GRS block shelf is ok if you're doing small work and use the support leg under it. Without the support leg it will bounce and is not sturdy.

WSammut

Thanks Sam, just watched your review and I'm sold, good review.
And it sounds like the shelf is just gonna get in the way as much as my stand. Thanks

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I just finished watching Sam's Leica review on youtube. I was convinced its time for a new scope when he was talking about the improved depth of field over the Meji I've been using for the last 15 years. I bought it when I was at GRS taking a course from Sam. Convinced me then to get the Meiji and convinced me now that I need the Leica. Must be popular; its on backorder at GRS.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Just ordered the new scope with the acrobat adapter from GRS and received a ten percent price reduction. Not sure if its a limited time offer or the usual price. Was toying with the idea of buying the Leica since it was first offered but Sam's video review did push me over the finish line.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira Mitchell sold me on the idea of switching to the Leica while in Vegas. I've never looked back. I can't imagine ever needing another scope. It's always hard to shell out over a grand for a new tool but in hindsight I wish I'd done it sooner.

Latest posts

Sponsors