Colt SAA factory finishing question

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
I am restoring my first Colt SAA it came with 3 Winchesters. I am familiar with Winchester factory finishes but what did Colt use? The one I have was made in 1909 and was not case colored. Did Colt use charcoal blue on the frames?
My instinct is to charcoal blue the frame,backstrap and trigger guard then rust blue the barrel and cylinder is this correct? The customer does not want case colors so that's out. I know some of the foremost Colt guys are on this forum.
Thanks, Leland

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your best bet would be to call up Doug Turnbull Restorations as they know exactly what was originally used for a given date of mfg and can replicate any of them accurately using the original process.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Tim but I do all work in house and not sure Turnbull will help. I did take your advice and sent the barrel to them for roll stamp maybe they will.
Thanks again, Leland

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
silverchip, I have never tried kingsford but around here we have natural lump charcoal called Cowboy brand it works very well. I do all Winchesters that are not case colored with it but do not know if it is correct for Colt. I spent 2 hours on the internet last nite trying to find out afterward I knew less than when I started lots of experts out there.
Thanks, Leland

Latest posts

Sponsors