Servicing Engraved watches

Rstripnieks

Hello,I recently started to explore world of watch engraving and already sold my first engraved watch in action site similar to Ebay.
I got in Touch with Engraver friend in Estonia and he noticed me that few watch manufacturers will refuse to service them.
If somebody would ask me to engrave the watch it would be no big problem to just notice them about this problem and then it wouldnt be my concern anymore.
but i buy All the things i engrave from my own pocket and action them so it makes a small difference.

My question is :how could i solve servicing problem on watch brands? Like Rolex,Tag Heuer ,Omega and many others....
does it mean watch cannot be serviced anymore?
i know many engravers work under companies like Kindle and Thorpe and they service Their engraved watches.

How could i solve this problem when i am on my own and how could i answer my customers question about finding place where could they service my engraved watches.

Ofcoarse i take full responsibillity of any damage or my own mistake done during engraving but i know nothing about servicing watches nor willing to study it.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I wouldn't cut a high grade watch win the intent of resale. Those companies typically void any warranty and so the customer is on their own regarding repairs. With low grade watches (and by that I mean under $500-600) repairs are typically of the "open watch, swap movement" variety. These type of Quartz watches rarely need service aside from battery changes. Anything more and a local watchmaker can handle it.
So as an answer to the high grade watch question, you can't solve the problem. You cut it, the warranty is void. Unless you were to work directly with the manufacturer win their explicit permission.
Joanne Ryall could answer the question of warranty and working with a dealer. My best guess is that either Kindler and Thorpe assumes responsibility or Rolex has an arrangement to service their engraved watches.

Rstripnieks

So the watches like Rolex is a big No No? Could the higher end watches be serviced by someone else?
Joanne isnt responding my messages just like many other watch engravers.
Viljo Marandi Helped me answering my questions but i also would like to hear engraverscafe opinion and maybe those people who didnt respond my messages could answer them here so everybody can read them.

Is there a thread where this probleam is beeing discussed? I couldnt find it

Andrew Biggs

It's an interesting question.

All of my watch work is for the watchmakers or individual customers. So everything is custom ordered. For the watchmakers it's no problem but for the individuals it's on them to sort it out.

However, you are buying and reselling the watches you are engraving. So therefore warranties etc etc probably fall on you.

Most watch makers with brand names will probably disown you.......so perhaps find a really good watch repair place near you and work something out with them. Most off these watches can be repaired/serviced by reputable watch repair places but they have to be extremely good as the movements are highly complex.

Cheers
Andrew

Rstripnieks

Thanks Andrew,
Engraving watch for request by someone would take 90 precent weight from shoulders ,but I guess whats the fun in that?!:)
I Just have to make friends with local watchmakers and see how it goes.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I answered you on another forum but somehow I missed that sentence where you are doing spec work and then selling it. In that case you may want to inform the purchaser that servicing won't be through the manufacturer, it will have to be done by an independent. If you knew of a good watchmaker to refer them to, that would be a good selling point.

Finding a competent watchmaker would be a good idea and if you strike up a relationship you could provide the purchaser with his card along with the sale so they'll know where to send it when it comes time for an overhaul (servicing). Problem solved.

…or you could do like me and service them yourself. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Rstripnieks

Only now I realized how much more work adds up all the time. It would all be nice if it would be just drawing and cutting but that is just tip of the eisberg.
No one pays me for answering emails
Questions from people beginning engraving
Meeting people about business questions.
All that time doing research about stuff.
And im not even going to conventions and other places to advertise myself so those hours after my day job isnt much but I have to make every minute count and use my time wisely.
Most of time goes thinking about design ,reading books and other things I may use in design .
Most of it is unpaid so that also is answer why engravers arent rich whe people see their items sold for couple thousand of dollars for me most money I make only repays advertising and all other costs

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Movements like ETA can be serviced by any competent watchmaker and parts are readily available. Rolex maintains very strict distribution of parts and only Rolex certified watchmakers have access to them. And I believe they must also work for a shop that sells Rolex and not be an independent watchmaker. In any event, high end watches with their own in-house movements make it very difficult to get service and parts, especially if they're persnickety about their watch being engraved. There are a number of watchmakers that are qualified to service Rolex and other high end brands who can beat the bushes and find parts. Needless to say the parts are very pricy and some can be hard to find.

basiecally

Sam, I'm afraid that's no longer the case. ETA has limited part sales only to service shops that are licenced by any corresponding brand of Swatch group. This is as of the last couple of years. It may be that it's about to change again, things have been a bit confusing since Hayek passed... Same goes for many other manufacturers such as Rolex, with the parts that is.
Anyone is of course free to work on these watches but if you need to get a spare part, you are in for some work and possible black market dealing. So if the intention is to keep a record with Omega or Rolex for a service history, and they refuse to work on a watch that has had its case engraved, I would say not to have it engraved. I work mostly on vintage pieces where the parts are long since in circulation. Engraving vintage watches is of course an option but originality is usually a big point in the value of such a time piece.

Best regards

Rstripnieks

Basiecallys answer confused me now , if watchmakers refuse to service watches then How do So many people get their watches serviced? Im not talking about engravers working for companies but people who ask to get their watches done by random engravers ,I simply cannot imagine that their watches cannot be serviced? Ir maybe they can be serviced but warranty is gone?

Rstripnieks

Or maybe when im selling it I could add few lines to my terms like :Im not responsible that watch may be refused for service by original watch manufacturers
Althought I take full responsibility of damge caused by engraving.
Something like that.
So then I would leave it up to buyer to visit his watchmaker.

basiecally

It all comes down to what watch you have and if it is still under warranty. Or if you want to keep a complete service record with the manufacturer. You can go to any watchmaker willing to work on your watch and have it serviced. But if your watch was made by Swatch group or any of the other makers that are restrictive with distributing parts, you may run into problems as watchmakers that are not licenced by them cannot order parts. You need a parts account.

A watch in an engraved case can certainly be serviced without trouble. Some makers even offer engravings as an extra. However, many manufacturers have a "restore to factory finish" thinking when it comes to service. So I can see why some would not want to handle watches that have been altered outside of their own workshop. It's hard to put a warranty on something where someone else has done work that you cannot predict the result of. I'm only speculating now but I imagine water resistance might be a concern if engravings have been made close to the bezel or case back.

Rstripnieks

Maybe you could name few companies I should avoid and few who uses universal parts (dont laugh I know very little about mechanisms ,but I do know they are fragile)
So I could probably write a statement about watch losing its warranty when I online auction it.
I think it still doesnt answers my question where people get their rolexes etc serviced when they areny bought from company who employs engravers and asked random engraver to work on it.
It looked like I found my answer but after dew more people are answering my question im getting more confused

basiecally

I can't provide you with a list, sorry. But I know that any brands under Swatch group will use ETA movements or versions thereof. Rolex also utilizes parts accounts. I think your best bet would be to write to Swatch and Rolex and ask what their policy is on engraved watches.

I'm not really seeing what's so confusing? Most makers recommend that you send the watches to them for service and then their rules apply. You CAN give it to anyone prepared to either make or scrounge up any spare parts that might be needed. But having a watchmaker who isn't licenced work on it may end up voiding any warranty you might have.

Do you know many people with engraved Rolexes?

basiecally

I can't provide you with a list, sorry. But I know that any brands under Swatch group will use ETA movements or versions thereof. Rolex also utilizes parts accounts. I think your best bet would be to write to Swatch and Rolex and ask what their policy is on engraved watches.

I'm not really seeing what's so confusing? Most makers recommend that you send the watches to them for service and then their rules apply. You CAN give it to anyone prepared to either make or scrounge up any spare parts that might be needed. But having a watchmaker who isn't licenced work on it may end up voiding any warranty you might have.

Do you know many people with engraved Rolexes?

I'm sorry, that last sentence came across a bit testy... What I meant to say was in response to "where people get their rolexes serviced" and that I don't think it's a very common problem. I may be wrong, and the good people of this forum would probably be the ones to correct me, but I think the issues with original service would be pretty slim, on a numbers basis.

But all this is sort of beside the point if the watches you are buying, engraving and then selling are not new or have a perfect service record from the manufacturer. Then the damage is already done, so to speak.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not a watchmaker but I would be wondering whether a non-licenced watchmaker for makers such as Rolex would actually be able to source genuine parts or would they be only be left to use generic parts if available?

Rstripnieks

Im know that many of my questions sound silly but I need them answered and there arent many places where I can get more than 2 engravers discussing theese questions.
Apparently you lnow way more than I do and theese things are obvious for you and few others . Ijust want to learn as much as I can about things I dont know before I roll up my sleeves and start digging into Rolex.
I have done my research about this thread but I have not yet found answers.but most things are answered

basiecally

Yes, it was not my intention to be condescending at all. The watch business is very complicated, and I don't even know half of it...

What I think would be your best bet would be to find out what brands require a parts account for their service people. Then contact those brands and ask about their policy on servicing watches made by them that has been engraved by a third party. But it matters what watches you are engraving. Are they vintage or new?

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I would start with cheap watches and build up the portfolio. Then when (if you're good, then it's "when", not "if" :) ) clients come, they will give you the watch and assume all responsibility as well. That's how I got started... First watches were my own, worth around 10€, word got around and I made many $200-$400 watches for clients. After a while I also got to do some "proper" watches. All this without worrying about the initial investment of buying the watch, warranty etc.

I still have one Chr Ward watch that I bought to make a project out of. It's still waiting for its time, because I've enough work from clients and don't need to engrave this one.

For giggles, here's the 10€ chinesium watch I did many moons ago.

_MG_7110_700.jpg

Last edited:

basiecally

I would start with cheap watches and build up the portfolio. Then when (if you're good, then it's "when", not "if" :) ) clients come, they will give you the watch and assume all responsibility as well. That's how I got started... First watches were my own, worth around 10€, word got around and I made many $200-$400 watches for clients. After a while I also got to do some "proper" watches. All this without worrying about the initial investment of buying the watch, warranty etc.

I still have one Chr Ward watch that I bought to make a project out of. It's still waiting for its time, because I've enough work from clients and don't need to engrave this one.

Very sound advice.

Latest posts

Sponsors