Question: Block Lettering with Serif's Needed

zfreshman

I have a customer's Sterling baby's cup engraved with 3 letters. I'm looking for someone who can engrave the same style with serifs using a liner graver to match as closely as possible. The letters I need are "R G E" with dots between letters as shown in the photos. Letter's are approximately 1/4" tall. As you can see it looks like they've been cut in with a liner as well.

Please message me with pricing info as well as any examples you have of this style lettering. PM's are welcome or you can email me.

I'll need someone in the US, and preferably western US. Our store is Freshmans Inc. and located in Salt Lake City, UT

Thanks for reading.

engrave1.jpg engrave2.jpg

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Can someone please explain how to get those triangular cuts that form the serifs. Is it done by pushing in a flat graver on one corner then popping it out?

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The triangle cuts are called picks around here. They are made with a flat tool although the previous generation of engravers who taught me had special shapes to cut them. I find the flat tool works just as well and is easier to sharpen. The cut is easy after you get your head around it. The point of the tool is put on the point of the bottom left corner and then sent up the line to the top point. At the same time the cutting edge of the tool goes along the base line of the triangle. If you do both movements in unison a triangle is made. The key at this point is to pop out the triangle with the motion going towards your left shoulder. This keeps the triangle shape uniform. It easier to make using a microscope than an optivisor. The hard part is not going too deep at the beginning but keeping it somewhat shallow.

Latest posts

Sponsors