Platter engraving quote

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since Brian started working on trying to bring us a basic guide to pricing, I thought I'd use this as an experiment.
I have a general idea of what I'd charge for this job, but I'd like to see what others who are capable of this type work would charge in your city or town. It may be beneficial for others to have an idea of going rates and I thought this might be a simple way to that end. I live in the Baton Rouge LA, so our prices are a bit lower than much of the country so I take that into account but often I think I don't charge enough.
It's a simple trophy tray for a regatta. I told the shop that I'd forgo the charges if they could get me a crew position next year!
If you don't want to post a price online, then feel free to PM me. IMG_8668.JPG IMG_8669.JPG

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Layne, if the tray is silver plate or worse chrome, there is a risk of chipping the plating off, better throw in some hazard pay in that quote!!!!!!!!!!!!

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well now that we got that cleared up,I might be able to comment further. I thought about this last night and my thoughts are to estimate your time since there is no material involved it should be straight forward.If the graphics are exactly as shown,I would say an estimate of 450-500 wouldn't be out of line. Remember this is with the methods that I use for layout and cutting and not yours.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Layne - after doing a few large trophy cups lately this flat piece looks good to me! I would quote 350 bucks. Doesn't mean I would get the job because most people would gasp at that price because they are more used to cnc type pricing from a trophy shop.

kfengraver

if this was to come in to a jewelry store who sent it out to be engraved they would keystone the price. so your 350 now becomes 700 to the customer, and so on and so on...

just something to chew on..

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This came in from a store I've worked with for years. Yes, I tend to price my work with the fact that it will be keystone priced at the counter, in the back of my mind. Even so it's still an expensive job. That's rarely a problem for this client. They are one of the last stores I know of that sells this kind of silver. The punch bowl I cut last year was a monster. Almost 24" across. I'm lucky to work for them.
I had estimated around $400 or 6-7 hours for the job so I'm right in there. If it takes less time I make more. If it takes a little longer, I love what I do and get to add a few more photos to the portfolio. A day spent cutting is far better than a day spent re-tipping rings. Thanks for the numbers guys.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's exactly what my mentor and partner in my shop would say Sam. No matter what quote I come up with, he tells me "add 20% or you'll never make a profit" Because of him my boat payments are always covered.