Making Homemade Mill Grain wheels

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Use the spark wheel from a used up throw away type lighter. I prefer the ones with straight across milling.
Find a piece of brass brazing rod that is a good fit for the center hole. Bend a short right angle on the end of the brazing rod. Put the spark wheel on the right angle with about 3/32 protruding. Grip the longer leg of the brazing rod horizontally in a vise with the wheel resting in the top of the vise jaws with just enough room to rotate. Peen over the short leg to form a mushroom head to hold the wheel while still allowing it to rotate freely.
Cut the long leg to your desired length and hold it in a small pin vise to use.
Using the same idea you can make the wheels by center drilling and cutting off short sections of drill rod. Cross cut them with Liners or fine checkering files. Wire them up on some binding wire and heat to critical temp and quench. Clean up the scale and use as is or anneal to 325 cent. if you wish. This way you can have teeth spacing and wheel width to your own desire.

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I made a mini knurling tool out of a lighter flint wheel. I used a 1/4" square bar of 1018 steel. Cut a notch out of one end so the wheel would fit about 3/4 of the way in, drilled a cross hole for the wheel's center hole and used a scrap piece of rod for an axle. Peened both ends of the "axle" like a rivet to keep it in place

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
I made a mini knurling tool out of a lighter flint wheel. I used a 1/4" square bar of 1018 steel. Cut a notch out of one end so the wheel would fit about 3/4 of the way in, drilled a cross hole for the wheel's center hole and used a scrap piece of rod for an axle. Peened both ends of the "axle" like a rivet to keep it in place

That will work just fine too.

Quote....Mike Cirelli. Now I have to try it John sounds like it could add an interesting edge.

My very best to you and give it a go Mike.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
John,I like your idea on using the spark flint wheel,I'm going to make one into a roulette for print making.Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Just when I think John B can't possibly know another engraving trick, he surprises us with homemade millgrain wheels! :happyvise: Of course I'm kidding and I know you have plenty more where that came from.

I can't begin to express my gratitude for sharing your lifetime of engraving experience with us, John. :bow:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
John,I like your idea on using the spark flint wheel,I'm going to make one into a roulette for print making.Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:J.J.

Thanks JJ, It's a way to go if your students have small pockets.
A couple of ways to make them if you want them in a straight handle.
Find a piece of flat stuck the same thickness as your wheel.
Solder a 1/16 inch thick piece to each side with enough length for a solid connection and to form two legs.
File the inside of one leg just enough to give slight side clearance for the wheel.
Drill through the legs for the axle, mushroom one end of the axle, assemble the parts and peen over the other end of the axle.
The other way is like Dogcatcher mentioned.
Drill a piece of 1/4 inch stock with a drill the same size as the thickness of your wheel about 1/2 inch from the end.
Saw out the material to form two legs and assemble as mentioned above.
Of course this method can be done in a breeze by those lucky enough to have a milling machine available.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks for the kind words Sam and for this wonderful place for all of us to Share and Learn.
You and Abigail are so very generous with the time and expense you give to the Cafe.
Your artistry and technical knowledge has taught and inspired me and so many others.
My simple gizmos are mostly money savers for those with small pockets but big ambitions.
As others have said, if money is not a problem we can just buy the fine tools that are available and spend the time refining our skill.

monk

Staff member
another trick from the mind of jb. i gotta say-- your tricks rule, john. tyvm