Masters presentation

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know a few of you have or do sit on the board and judge masters submissions. Another engraver asked the question "does FEGA still require 2 complete guns to be submitted?" I couldn't answer that with certainty.
At one time or another I had read that a practice plate would suffice in order to show techniques that were not represented by the presented gun or guns. The second thing I had read was that a set of high quality photos could suffice for one of the submissions provided they conveyed the info necessary for judging.
So can any of you clarify what is physically required for submission.
(not techniques, just presentation material)
Thanks!

Andrew Biggs

Hi Layne

The above link that Gordon gave you is correct. It has all the criteria on the form.

Yes, two guns have to be submitted for judging at the show. They can be any gun s you like. It is the engraving that is being judged, not the gun.

The plate is to have any of the criteria that is not on the guns..........e.g. lettering, animal etc etc. The reason for this is that the clients dictate what is on the gun so it may lack gold borders or lettering etc. If they are your own personal guns then you have the luxury of doing what you want on them.

Photos........When you apply to me for your Masters you have to supply good quality photos along with a statement of intent. This is to show that your work is up to standard and has a reasonable chance of passing.

International Masters.........This is done with photos only but they still have to meet all the criteria on the application form. The reason for this is that it's getting more difficult to bring guns in and out of the USA and for an individual to bring a couple of engraved guns can be cost prohibitive.

Judging at the show..........All the FEGA Masters present at the show judge the work. It's normally about 15 to 20 people. I have nothing to do with the judging and only administer the program.

International Judging.........a committee is formed of FEGA Master Engravers and the photos are sent to them for judging etc etc.

Any questions at all, just flick me an email and I'm only to happy to answer them. It all sounds complicated but in fact is a very straight forward process.

Cheers
Andrew

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And ( i think ) they can be guns ie shotguns, pistols, black powder or flintlock pistols, replica guns, or antiques... as far as I know anything that looks like a gun would work seeing the gun isn't being judged.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you work on a cheap gun, is it part of the engravers job to re-finish the gun before engraving in any way?

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dani, I will only work on a gun if I can bring it up to an acceptable finish before cutting. I charge accordingly. If the client wants to hand it to a gunsmith to finish, that's fine by me. I do have the facility to do the work in my own shop though. I'm weird in that I kinda enjoy the filing and paper and black hands and dust. You can get lost in the work. I think many engravers wind up being fairly capable metal smiths. Necessity of the profession.

Andrew Biggs

And ( i think ) they can be guns ie shotguns, pistols, black powder or flintlock pistols, replica guns, or antiques... as far as I know anything that looks like a gun would work seeing the gun isn't being judged.

Yes, they have to be an actual working guns of some description

If you work on a cheap gun, is it part of the engravers job to re-finish the gun before engraving in any way?

Yes, it is. You can farm it out or do it yourself but it has to be done. This is what you would expect to be done on the gun before engraving..........just like any other surface we engrave.

Remember, that this is a Masters qualification. It's not some slap dash thing that's done as fast as possible and short cuts taken on shoddy surfaces. The project, weather it be a low price replica or high end piece, needs to be prepped properly for engraving, engraved with a great deal of skill thought and care.................in other words, it has to be your best work, presented properly on the best surface. Just like you would expect from a Master or someone that actually knows and cares about what they are doing and takes pride in their work.

Cheers
Andrew

Sponsors