Critique Request English scroll practice

KarlB

Here is the iPad-Procreat design from my previous post.
Then the finished practice knife. I made a small change to the borders, on either side of the knife.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 276
  • PICT0062 2.jpg
    PICT0062 2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 257
  • PICT0067 2.jpg
    PICT0067 2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you get us some cropped photos of the knife it may be easier to offer something. English scroll is small stuff and my eyes don't work so well anymore.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Karl,

It seems like the cuts are smooth and clean, at least much better cutting than what I'm currently struggling with on English scroll.

At the risk of a beginner offering "ignorant" critique, some things that jump out at me:

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of pronounced second cuts on the inside work (all leaves - no tendrils); interesting though.
The central scrolls seem much larger than the outer ones where my eye (potentially ignorant) is used to a more gradual size change.
The large scrolls coming off the starter scroll on the right are reverse ("wrong" ).
I'm not used to seeing large "open" space on starter scrolls but that's maybe a bias I have toward seeing smaller scrolls.
Maybe it's the photograph but I don't see much shading in the scrolls
The backbones of the scrolls seem to have been cut as a continuous line rather than implied by the inside cuts which isn't what I'm used to on classic English scroll; maybe I'm not seeing the photograph clearly enough.
It's tough to judge the overall size without a scale but the larger scrolls seem a bit large and the gaps between the scrolls are still white and haven't been either cut to black or shaded.

Just my potentially tangential comments. As I wrote, bear in mind I'm a beginner and not capable of producing fine work when you read my comments. It's also easier to offer comments on someone else's work than one's own, let alone produce them :)

Thanks for posting and generating thought and comments. At my level I'd be proud to produce such.

Jeremy

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I'm not a big fan of English scroll, too much small stuff for me but I really like that border. I'll be borrowing that in some future project.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I like the border as well.

As far as the scrollwork, I'm not sure I'd call it English, for whatever that's worth. While it does provide a pleasing "fill" to the sides of the knife, it's not what I think of when referring to English scroll. Maybe Marcus or someone more knowledgeable on the subject can comment, and I will certainly stand corrected if I'm wrong.

KarlB

Jeremy, thanks for your comments and observations. I did find the scroll that is backwards, but not until I was committed.
Clearly the trees got in my way and I could not see the forest!

Sam, I have to agree with you it's not really english scroll. The intention was to try english scroll. Looking back at my design and the finished
piece, somewhere along the way it took on a life of its own...and got away from me.

Timothy83

I think it looks great I love the border. As far as it not being English scroll maybe it's not maybe it's new American scroll or something. Quick someone who knows more about it than me make a name up for it fast.

Latest posts

Sponsors