Sculpting

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steel that I cut out using a jewelry saw.
Hard soldered onto a sterling silver bracelet blank.
Then sculpted the steel.:tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_20170519_154322066.jpg
    IMG_20170519_154322066.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 378

horologist

How did you sculpt the steel after soldering it to the bracelet?
I ask because I have no experience with jewelry and my methods of sculpting (fettling) pierced clock hands would be nearly impossible once the piece was soldered down.

Troy

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used a punch.
Just like the method that Sam shows in his video.
What really helped me visualize and understand how the leaves should be shaped is a video about chasing and repouse.
:handpiece:
After a couple practice runs I can see great improvements in my work. My goal is to be able to sculpt black leaf elements much like what Churchill and Connelly do

Just have to practice a little.:tiphat:

Last edited:

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
That's really cool Shawn, looks great. I like the whole concept with the border too... do you blue it when finish?

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Jeff
After using a punch to sculpt it I take a steel brush to it...this does good job at blending all the humps and bumps.
I then blue or French grey the steel

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
The contrast against the sterling will really set it apart. If you get a chance post a picture when done, would love to see the finished result.

horologist

Thanks Shawn,

Thanks, I had no idea you could form steel that way and look forward to the photo of the finished product. I spent some time Googling Churchill and Connelly, amazing stuff. It seems no matter how far you advance there is always more to learn.

Troy

I used a punch.
Just like the method that Sam shows in his video.
What really helped me visualize and understand how the leaves should be shaped is a video about chasing and repouse.
:handpiece:
After a couple practice runs I can see great improvements in my work. My goal is to be able to sculpt black leaf elements much like what Churchill and Connelly do

Just have to practice a little.:tiphat:

jbmfaceted

fantastic work, really like the contrast, I was interested how you did the millgraining on the inside of the border, do you have a millgraining tool that big?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Just a tip for those wanting to give it a try.........
For a large, inexpensive mill grain wheel it is easy to make one from most cigarette lighter spark wheels.

Jerry K

Elite Cafe Member
John B., can you elaborate on how to make a mill grain wheel from a cigarette lighter? Sorry to high jack this thread.
Jerry K.