Question: cmax engravers too short

Howard carter

Hi guys and girls , good morning from cold wet England , I am finding that the c max engravers , although wonderful to work with are a little to short . I am not aware of having large hands and on engraving signets absolutely no problems , but when it comes to engraving larger flat items such as a plate to go on top of a jewellery box the air tube to the back of the engraver is touching the silver . Any suggestions welcome.
Ps the wife is in California at present and say the weathers fine .
Kind regards
Howard

Pps. just love the forum , there's some seriously talented folks out there. Makes we wish we didn't have the gun and knife laws we do . It seriously cramps my engraving capabilities. Two sides to that argument I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Usually people complain that the gravers are too long so GRS made these in a length preferred by most. If the hose is hitting on flat items I would think that you have too low of a heel angle. Usually a 15 degree angle will give enough clearance. I have large hands engrave a lot of flat items and have no problem with a 15 degree heel.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
When my square carbides get down too short for my hands, this is the solution I use. Gives them a new life of usefulness. The smaller brass square tube is the same size and the tool blank and the other is just large enough to slip over the two. Purchased at the hobby store. A drop of super glue holds up just fine.

Attachments

• graver extension.jpg
    graver extension.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 170

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Howard Carter: If any thing I think they are too short, and should be about a half inch longer! I use the easy graver tool sharpener, and with time as you sharpen they become uncomfortably short. About 10 years ago I bought some micro grain carbide, called micro 100, one eigth inch diameter, and cut some gravers about two and three quarters of an inch long. They give you more clearance by pushing the handpiece out further, and are especially usefull when engraving around the recoil shield and loading gate on revolvers. I find them more comfortable to use.YMMV.