Finished 1873 Winchester

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
When I posted the engraving some people suggested a cloud behind the deer. I did not try it because of the don't want to screw it up now mentality. The gremlins of color case hardening smiled on me and put a cloud in for me. I would like to say I knew that would happen but that would be a lie.
Thanks,Leland

Attachments

• DSC02273.jpg
    DSC02273.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 402
  • DSC02277.jpg
    DSC02277.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 403

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Outstanding job! Did you find any difficulties cutting through the original case hardening?

Last edited:

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
The gun was not case colored originally just a used up blued/pitted 1873 all polishing and engraving and finishing was done by me. That brings me to a question for the professional engravers. At what point do you get work that is polished and ready to engrave? Is that just wishful thinking?
Thanks for all the comments,Leland

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Leland,I never received a firearm ready to engrave,I had to strip off the old finish and hand polish no buffing.You should be proud of the work you did on the that 73.keep up the good work. J.J.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
J.J. just wishful thinking I think. The old Winchesters I do are in very bad shape by the time I draw file,water stone then sand there is more time in that than engraving.
Thanks,Leland

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
May I ask who did the case coloring? I have a .22 winchester I'll be doing soon. Will need to have it colored when done.

Donny