Question: Engraving starting kit

pcoll

Hi guys

Any tips on a basic starter kit, preferable looking for second hand items?

I'm trying to look for idea's for my hubby's birthday. He is a musician and has made instruments in the past. I just thought as he is artistic he might really enjoy hand engraving, possibly jewellery or instruments.

Seems to be some good cheap second hand options available online, not sure if this is helpful to anyone. But I will definitely go for the lessons options first. http://www.used.forsale/engraving-tools

Last edited:

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
How about a birthday card with many photos of hand-engraved items of all kinds to determine if he would interested. If he is, send him to a class as JJ suggested. By the way, CF Martin Guitar Co. has recently included high end models with engraved parts by one of this forum's own. Rod Cameron on this forum engraves parts for the baroque flutes he is world famous for. If there is metal in it, someone has probably engraved it.

Once the bug has bitten, you will have no problem finding the equipment he would need.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
please look at the sticky at the page top,"beginners' tool list". as an instrument maker, nothing could be better if he were to learn how to embellish the instruments he made.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Neat! I went at it from the opposite direction and started building guitars and ukuleles so as to have another item on which to place my engraving.

Brian Marshall teaches in Stockton. Lassen college in Susanville used to have summer one-week seminars for engraving and hopefully still do. Perhaps someone in the know will chime in. Probably forgetting others near you.

This was for a baritone ukulele I built...black walnut back and sides and neck and bearclaw Sitka spruce top...made to celebrate my 12 1/2 years on Kodiak Island many years ago.

Attachments

• baritone uke inlays overlays and rosette e.jpg
    baritone uke inlays overlays and rosette e.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

pcoll

Stunning

WOW, that is absolutely beautiful!

Neat! I went at it from the opposite direction and started building guitars and ukuleles so as to have another item on which to place my engraving.

Brian Marshall teaches in Stockton. Lassen college in Susanville used to have summer one-week seminars for engraving and hopefully still do. Perhaps someone in the know will chime in. Probably forgetting others near you.

This was for a baritone ukulele I built...black walnut back and sides and neck and bearclaw Sitka spruce top...made to celebrate my 12 1/2 years on Kodiak Island many years ago.

monk

Staff member
google the name jason dumars. he does instrument engraving that's very nice. lots of photos to study.