English Scroll

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
This was my try at English scroll on something other than a practice plate . It is a pewter jewelry box, which is way different than steel!
Lots to improve on I know... it's a Mothers day gift for my Mom, nothing like a mothers love though;).

Attachments

• mothers day x.jpg
    mothers day x.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 378
  • mothers day xx.jpg
    mothers day xx.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 382

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
really excellent, Jeff! my only suggestion would be to try starting with the biggest scrolls in the middle of larger patterns, so they diminish in size out toward the edges, making for a more even, consistent visual 'density' around the perimeter. that's really more of a stylistic preference than any sort of rule and you've done a great job with your chosen layout. another very minor quibble would be that you might've used a couple more scrolls at the extreme right & left instead of going to the 'fleur de lis' treatment prematurely. that has a lighter look than the scrolls and the dense outline of the pattern block goes soft at those two corners.

i apologize for the nitpicking, but when you've already got the basics so well in hand... :graver:

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Really nice Jeff. The more I look at FINE ENGLISH SCROLL, the more I like it. A very nice border too. Thank you for posting .

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
really excellent, Jeff! my only suggestion would be to try starting with the biggest scrolls in the middle of larger patterns, so they diminish in size out toward the edges, making for a more even, consistent visual 'density' around the perimeter. that's really more of a stylistic preference than any sort of rule and you've done a great job with your chosen layout. another very minor quibble would be that you might've used a couple more scrolls at the extreme right & left instead of going to the 'fleur de lis' treatment prematurely. that has a lighter look than the scrolls and the dense outline of the pattern block goes soft at those two corners.

i apologize for the nitpicking, but when you've already got the basics so well in hand... :graver:

Thanks Mitch, I did do some sketches starting with a main scroll but decided on the one I did. I have been studying Marcus Hunt's casting and book/ video and as Sam said in another thread I think... he makes it look easy.
As for the 'fleur de lis', I agree. I wasn't sure though if I could extend the scroll that far and keep the outside work consistent and it still look right. So I researched around and ran across a shotgun with that same treatment and really liked it.

Thank you Lane and speedy!!

Last edited:

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Roger and Sam...

Looks good Shawn... if you ever get a chance to get Marcus Hunts book/ video and casting, do. He did an excellent job of showing and explaining the why's, how's and what not to do, well worth it!

Last edited:

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Shawn!... and thank you Dani, glad your eyes didn't pop out. You need 'em, your work is has really come along!

Latest posts

Sponsors