better than flat black Rustoleum!

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
I replied earlier, but the reply wouldn't 'take', for whatever reason. From the article, which is one of several I've read over the months, it seems it would be easier having an ivory tusk shipped to your house than obtaining some of this Vantablack. Also, there is a wear problem that may occur when handling. It looks like, for the present time, we'll just have to wait although one would think they'd want to promote the product!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
so-- planting 89 billion nanotubes 1 at a time-- how long would it take to do the average 870 with full coverage ?

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Now we'll just have to see about the availability of this alternative product, and if it has any good degree of shelf life. Years back, I got a bottle of a flat black(?) paint from Old Dominion Engravers, whom I don't know are still in business, or not. It was worthless, unless you were going to use the whole small bottle almost right away. Once you opened the bottle, that began the degradation process, and the stuff dried up no matter how secure or fast you put the cap on. Whether, or not, to order anything in any kind of bulk is a toss-up. But, this alternative product might be a good choice. Someone's going to have to be the 'king's food taster'!

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
SOLD SOLD SOLD

I happened to have come across this stuff a while ago and ordered some out of curiosity (you have to wait until June 3rd for any new orders to ship now). I just got my order about a week ago but have not had a chance to use it yet. I can say that it's really thick and VERY black. The guy who sells it, Stuart Semple has done some videos talking about it and showing how to use it.

https://www.culturehustle.com/colle...orld-s-mattest-flattest-blackest-art-material

Anyways I bought 2 bottles because I'm a bit of a hoarder and since I don't really have a need for both and in the interest of seeing if this stuff is really that much of an improvement over Rustoleum in the engraving world I'm willing to divide one into 5 ml samples for anyone who has an interest (it can be diluted with water quite a bit, watch Stuarts videos). With shipping I paid $26 American per 150ml bottle so approximately $1 per 5ml, I can get 5ml glass nail polish bottles for .63 cents a piece on Amazon and 1st class shipping to anyone in the U.S. will be about $3 (I'm willing to ship international at actual cost) so lets say $7.50 per bottle. Hey, I gotta make a little $$$ for my time and I think it's gonna be a PITA filling those tiny bottles!

There should be 30 5ml bottles worth but I'm sure I won't be able to get it all out of the bottle without diluting it so I figure 25-28 bottles will be available. If there's a run on these samples it will be first come first serve. Just message me Black 2.0 and I'll get back to everyone who will receive a bottle when it's ready to ship.

Attachments

• black2.0.jpg
    black2.0.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Ron- once you take it for a test drive on some engraving please give us an update. i'd definitely be interested if it's suitable for our purposes. any idea what the shelf life is? just threw out yet another underutilized, solidified, 4oz can of Rustoleum...

thanks,
m

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Ron- once you take it for a test drive on some engraving please give us an update. i'd definitely be interested if it's suitable for our purposes. any idea what the shelf life is? just threw out yet another underutilized, solidified, 4oz can of Rustoleum...

thanks,
m

Hey Mitch, Got a chance to try it out yesterday. 2 pics taken with my phone. One in ambient light and 1 under direct lighting. One thin coat applied with a brush on exposed brass with a 600 grit finish. Not to toot this products horn but it's definitely the flattest mattest black (by far) that I've ever used or seen. (I've tried a ton of black inks and paints over the years) I can't attest to its toughness but its not flaking or rubbing off. I can't attest to shelf life either but it is water soluble. This stuff is absolutely LOADED with pigment, I literally used maybe half a drop of the stuff to paint the outside of this 1 1/8" dial. I used it straight from the bottle and all that pigment wanted to clump up, going to thin it down next time for sure.

Attachments

• blck2.jpg
    blck2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 236
  • blck1.jpg
    blck1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 231

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Every year I tell myself I'm going to the Engrave In Bill but life just keeps getting in the way. I'm going to have to make a firm commitment because every year it looks like my kind of fun:)

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Every year I tell myself I'm going to the Engrave In Bill but life just keeps getting in the way. I'm going to have to make a firm commitment because every year it looks like my kind of fun:)

I know about life getting in the way, as I've missed more than my share of the Engrave-Ins due to health issues popping up, but I am committed this year. Sometimes we just have to bite the bullett and do it. Hope to see you there this year and I'm sure all those present would love to meet you and enjoy your input.

Boy! Did this post rear up and bite me in the butt! Again, health issues prevented me from attending the Engrave-In. I really wanted to go but I became so anemic I couldn't drive the distance and make it back home; needed several iron infusions and am still weak, plus my knees (no cartilage whatsoever in both knees) are such I haven't been able to go upstairs to my studio. If I get back healthy enough they may reschedule my knee replacement surgery, but in the meantime I just have to soldier on and do what I can. Didn't mean to whine here, just letting folks know what's going on.

Bill

Last edited: