Sketch a day

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
IMG_0276.jpg

Today's drawing on the iPad. Drawn from observation using a reference photo on the left side of the screen.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, your sketches are really excellent! Are these from some of your own photos? I wish that I could do this. I always get hung up on going for the smoother textures and then go crazy on the finicky details. I always admire those who can draw the "essence" of the subject with such freedom of expression. I'm in the midst of another sculpture drawing but I plan to try to loosen up and do a straight forward sketch soon.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
These "rough" sketches are amazing to me, reminds me of Michelangelo's character studies. I had seen and studied his sketches for years, and then had the opportunity to see some up close and personal at a visiting display of his work. Seeing the "real thing" just inches from my eyes was amazing! When I spotted a small drawing from across the room it seemed like I was in the actual presence of the master himself, it was that alive. I love these works Sam and I hope you keep posting them and maybe some day publish a booklet for character study.

Bill

Sam

Staff member
Sam, your sketches are really excellent! Are these from some of your own photos? I wish that I could do this. I always get hung up on going for the smoother textures and then go crazy on the finicky details. I always admire those who can draw the "essence" of the subject with such freedom of expression. I'm in the midst of another sculpture drawing but I plan to try to loosen up and do a straight forward sketch soon.

Thanks Mark! Some of my sketches are from my photos and some are just random images I find on the net that I use for practice.

As an engraver, I'm hung up on fine detail and it's a struggle to not spend an hour detailing each eyeball! I love sketchy drawings as much (or more?) than photorealistic ones, and it's the direction I've been taking lately. There's such an organic quality to it that I really like.

Sam

Staff member
These "rough" sketches are amazing to me, reminds me of Michelangelo's character studies. I had seen and studied his sketches for years, and then had the opportunity to see some up close and personal at a visiting display of his work. Seeing the "real thing" just inches from my eyes was amazing! When I spotted a small drawing from across the room it seemed like I was in the actual presence of the master himself, it was that alive. I love these works Sam and I hope you keep posting them and maybe some day publish a booklet for character study.

Bill

Thanks Bill! I appreciate your kind words :)

Latest posts

Sponsors