New Member (Exploring and Learning)

Joel.LM

Hello everyone.

I'm a 30 year old Canadian plumber in search of a passion. That sums me up fairly well. Basically, I know very little to nothing about engraving other than the work i see is spectacular, everything from guns, knives, jewelry. I'm sick of the trades, I do not enjoy plumbing and need something more creative that at the end of the day, i can take a step back, see and enjoy my work. Currently I have been researching Jewelry making mainly chains and rings, Blacksmithing and now Engraving. I think that engraving is really what separates a really nice Piece to something that will stand the test of time and perhaps become an heirloom.

So I am here to learn and Hopefully become an active part of this community. First however, I need to learn how to draw :thumbsup: .

Cheers

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. you have already passed the first test. drawing is a necessary evil in the art of engraving. there are shortcuts provided by the computer, as well as the use of templates and drawing aids. these tools save time. they don't, however, eliminate the need to develop drawing skills and an eye for good design.
ron smith, didyoung, and lee griffiths have produced excellent books on the subject. they are to be considered, as they show how very complex design is nothing more than an assemblage of a few elementary, easily drawn line components.
i think the books give an excellent intro into scroll design and development.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome Joel,
I hear your need, gotta feed the muse.
Engraving is tough to learn, you never stop.
But if it was easy, it wouldn't be as rewarding.
Plus the difficulty helps keep the rifraff out.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Joel! I kinda like doing plumbing, it's engraving that is often a drudge after 36 years. Everything's relative, I guess...

:graver:

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
There may be an engraver near you. Most will be willing to give some direction and maybe some hands on. Yes learn to draw. It may seem difficult at first but following a few basic rules such as forming good backbones and adding simple leaves will get you started. Then start studying more advanced drawings it will come. My first drawings looked terrible. I got Sam's video and the difference showed on my first try after watching a master draw.

Joel.LM

Thank you for all the replies.

I appreciate the skills I acquired plumbing, it was however a very hard apprenticeship. I work almost exclusively in the commercial sector and am just tried with the drama and the inconsistency. A lot of that might have to do with the size of my community (small). We get a lot of outside companies getting bids which mean locals miss out on work. Then there is the drama between government and unions. Anyway sorry. Little rant. The trades just fell short of my expectations, I applaud anyone who has managed to make it a life long career of it, it's not easy.

I use to draw a lot in school and even had a portfolio that I had planned to send off to some universities. Due to financial issues the college thing never happened. I think my biggest challenge will be to not get discouraged. I'v tried getting back into drawing in the past and always end up getting frustrated. Hopefully I can look past my frustrations and keep with it. I think once I have some drawing done I'll go to the local sheetmetal fabrications shop and pick up a few 12" x 12" sheets of copper and source out some tools to start practicing basics.

Looking forward to being part of the community.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if i had a buck for every time i wanted to give up on the pursuit of engraving ! i could throw one whale of a party. i am self taught. it aint an easy pursuit to really get a grip on. i suppose those that take classes would have less discouraging feelings.

Latest posts

Sponsors