Leica flex arm with headrest?

3weight

Hi! I'm looking at the Leica A60F with the FlexArm stand. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use the headrest with this stand or does the stand move too easily?

Thanks!
Teresa

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
have you ever used a microscope before? and if so, have you definitively determined that you actually need to use a headrest? most of us don't and personally i've never used one in 30+ years.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I second Mitch. I have the Leica your talking about. Been using it for 2 years and no part of me touches the microscope while using it. It will move as easily as you have it adjusted or will be as rigid as you adjust it. I leave mine adjusted so I can Easily adjust it up, down or side to side as I need to quickly.

3weight

Thanks for the input. When using a laser welder I sometimes wish it had a headrest. I'm not entirely convinced that I need one for the scope, but just wondering if the option is there.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To answer your question, yes, it's possible. Although not ideal. One would need to machine a better fitting bracket to use a GRS headrest with the Leica flex arm. I have a stock head ready on mine and as the other guys noted, I almost never make use of it. I wouldn't bother.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On another note, I did find some taller eye cups as I like to just rest my brow against them and the cups that came with my scope were kind of flat.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
3weight, Most microscope stands do not have a headrest because touching the scope can cause shake to the image. Having said that, the A60 was not meant to use with a headrest on the flex arm stand. If you really want a headrest you may want to look into the acrobat stand.

Layne, the eyecups on the A60 come rolled down. Were they too short once you rolled them up?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know that many, if not most, Engraver's do not use a headrest, but I love 'em. The one on my Versa stand from GRS is perfect with the stability of their stand being so rock steady.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't use a headrest because when I started with a scope 34 years ago there were no headrests, nor were there scope stands with enough reach for an engraver's bench! But my students use them and like them so it's all in what you get used to.

Latest posts

Sponsors