Question: Cheapo micromotors

WSammut

Are the cheap micromotors like the $200 gesswein any good? Obviously I don't expect the quality of a top of the line one but will it be an improvement over my flex shaft for background removal and stone setting?

OR

How do the more expensive ones hold up to use? Are used ones a decent deal or will things be all worn out and sloppy or whatever?
Obviously I'm looking at getting one and am on a budget so what's my best option?
Thanks

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the level of improvement, if any, depends upon what you wish to use it for. i have a 400k rpm dental drill. as for power (torque) it has almost none. my dreml has more torque, but a very eccentric (wobbly) chuck. the dental drill extremely easy to control, but takes forever.
the higher priced units are generally going to outlast the cheapos. the used ones on the bay can be a real bargain. just be sure the dealer allows for returns. there's 3 common burr sizes. make sure what you decide to buy has collets for the 3 common sizes.

Karlspinks

I have a saeyang eco 450. (this company manufactures the foredom micromotors)

Bit more than $ 200 but a very good machine and "affordable" Can also get a hammer handpiece for it for around $300 and I have that too. It's very good for Stone setting.

Be careful where you buy these. Many may fakes online. I bought mine from my jewellery tools supplier and went and tested it first hand against other machines.

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
As I said in another post, I have had excellent luck with the Gesswein ECO-Torque 280.
Lists for $200.00, has been offered on sale sometimes for $150.00.
You can order extra 1/16 inch collets for dental burs. Has bur changing without tools.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dental-N8-M...934958?hash=item1c649a8eae:g:seEAAOSwfl9XBGkc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-35...936651?hash=item2a3f60d38b:g:TkYAAOSwHJhXMteD

I have both of these... I use them more than my nsk presto 300,000rpm pneumatic rotary.

The electric have lots of torque, they're smooth, and have been working their little hearts out for the last five years without even wearing the brushes down much at all. Highly recommend having on the bench. Note 3/32 burr size.

(I haven't used other kinds and can only say I'm pleased with these and I can do what I'm doing with them just fine. The extra speed is nice when cutting into harder metals) I use the faster one at work writing script on trophies with carbide inverted cone burrs and the slower one is in my shed at home taking out background on scrollwork. (Because the boss bought me the faster one)

Latest posts

Sponsors