Critique Request Inlay into silver pendants

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hmm. Who would a thunk. What's the craic (or crack) .... means how are you or what's the news. All the things I learn on here:rolleyes:

Julia.J

Hey, Dani. I've been using Dremel's VersaFlame butane torch for small annealing works for years now (works with small soldering jobs too)- it's quite cheap, easy to travel with and can be filled with any lighter fluid refill.

Citric acid makes a good pickle and the food grade can be bought from any pharmacy. You can use it cold, as Brian mentioned, but it's painfully slow process. It works just as fast as any pickle when heated and there's no nasty fumes to deal with. I've used an old coffee maker to heat the pickle in a pot, it keeps the liquid nice and warm without evaporating it :)

~Julia

Julia.J

As long as it has a hot plate, it will work. Another option, if you don't have an old coffee maker lying around, is an electric single burner, like this one:

It has an advantage to make the pickle to boil (if you're in a hurry). That and a stainless steel pot with a lid and you're all set- I made an error once to use an old cooking pot, which were plated...eventually the citric acid ate the lining and everything that were in the pickle were copper plated with some brown icky stuff. Horrible mess to clean.

Edit: Forgot to mention, rinse the pickled objects with clean water, otherwise the surface will remain sticky and especially copper is really reactive with citric, unless you want a blue patina of course.

Edit #2: One last thing, the citric acid, when kept warm and in use for about two weeks or so, will start to smell like old socks in a plastic bag. It's still active, but the odor is repulsive. Better to make as much pickle as you need and then change it from time to time, before the whole workshop smells like gymnastics class :D

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Or one of those simple cup warmers... you should have noticed them on my soldering bench? For small parts you don't need much more than a cup of liquid and a warmer.

The advantage to the coffee cup warmer is that it is a fixed temp, but you'll need a cover of some kind to prevent evaporation. I use a watch glass...

Being that small, it's not expensive to change out every two weeks or so.

The bigger ones ones on my soldering bench and the 4 hot benches in the classroom have 2nd hand crock pots on 'em. $5 each over here.

Brian

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Dani,

You don't need anything fancy - I used an old electric crock pot for quite some time. How about a slow cooker, but don't get anything too large.

Roger

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The torch that Julia mentioned is like the refillable little orange one you kept hiding from me... the one I used to preheat the element in the propane heater with...

They are under $10 over here. The restaurant sized fuel canisters cost more than the little butane torch! But they last a coupla years.

Brian

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh yeah, the butane canisters from the restaurant supply... those come in a case of 6. They use them for various catering food warmers and things like fondue pots. (Haven't seen anyone use one of those in years?)

I bought a case about 5 years ago and still have at least 3 full ones left.

B.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Oh yeah, the butane canisters from the restaurant supply... those come in a case of 6. They use them for various catering food warmers and things like fondue pots. (Haven't seen anyone use one of those in years?)

I bought a case about 5 years ago and still have at least 3 full ones left.

B.

Trouble is I have problems with getting rid of the old cannisters

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Plus if I get one of those little cup sized heaters you use Brian my mental lapses won't matter so much and I won't have to measure my sanity by the number of cups of tea that go cold in a day before I drink them any more.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bad smells in my shed don't go together, extremely little ventilation, great insulation. If I close the door during winter and run the heater I have to open the door every now and then and let some fresh air back in with oxygen.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok... I ordered a coffee mug heater so I feel better about my sanity.

I will ask for a few inches of silver solder from the folks in canberra when I visit to skill share. Need borax and boric acid. Pharmacy?

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
I just remembered I have one of these in the shed, hardly used it for anything.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/SCA-Gas-Torch-Pencil-Butane/286613

Would be good for soldering jump rings and smaller items??

Dani,

This one is a waste of money IMHO. IF you want a disposable torch you would be better off with something like https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Proxxon-Microflame-Butane-Torch/500226
You still have the problem with disposing of the cannisters. Here is another option http://www.ottofrei.com/EZ-Torch-Kits-with-Regulators-3-Tips-and-Hose both are available locally

Roger

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

I am hoping this will be a good spacing for pavé. It's probably not done often with black stones? :) I'll finish the engraving and blacken everything after drilling the holes and getting the stones ready to seat... sand the top off the brass blacked sterling.

Is that a good way to start the English scrollwork?

Latest posts

Sponsors