Critique Request The project continues

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
It has been a long time but I think I can finally get back to my restoration and engraving project,
http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?17406-A-piece-of-American-History-down-under

hope I don't offend Mr. Lister but I loosely based my design on his style of engraving :eek:, hopefully this will be the left side of it, note that there will be bulino work, hence the blank spaces on this side and the previously engraved side, any critique welcomed.
drawn in IP Pro.
thanks for looking.

Richard.

Attachments

• WIP (1).jpg
    WIP (1).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 486

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just my opinion, but I think the upper right scrolls would be much better if they matched the upper left scrolls...a little too "heavy" if you get my meaning. Overall I like it. It gives me some ideas as a have one to do also.

Bill

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Bill, I see what you mean, it did look kind of odd to me just couldn't put my finger on it, also noticed I did not allow for the front raised section same as the rear one near the hammer screw hole, so have to work on that as well, thanks for your observation friend, and you too Omar, appreciated.

Richard.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Weldon, if you say is looking good, who am I to argue with a Master!!, I definitely will try to improve it before I start cutting, thank you for taken the time to comment,
Love your work sir!!,

Richard.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
I have revised my drawing and altered it some as suggested, I think is an improvement from the first one, but I don't think is quite there yet, any comments?
I have re attached the first one as well for comparison, thanks for looking.

Richard.

Attachments

• WIP (1).jpg
    WIP (1).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 253
  • WIP2Revised.jpg
    WIP2Revised.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 257

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is cleaner but it doesn't fill the space to the same degree as the left side yet. Just my opinion.

Bill

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Much better. This design is much more balanced and less cluttered than the first. Just for giggles, you might lead one of the scrolls from the right side into the panel as you have done on the left side to provide some continuity. Either at the top or off the pin at the bottom. As it sits, the scrolls bordering the panel on the right form a vertical line, while the left has some variation and visual interest with the upper scroll encroaching into the panel.
And a word of caution. This is just a nitpick but anytime you use a fan shaped leaf at the juncture of two scrolls as on the left and bottom right, pay close attention to your shading. They have the potential to be a big white space that can throw things off balance if not shaded with this in mind. I speak from experience. It pops out after you ink the piece and say "what the heck was I thinking?". Not as big an issue if it is to be blued.
This is one you'll be proud of! Can't wait to see it cut.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Bill And Layne, yes there are some adjustments to be made for sure, I am revising the drawing again and will post pic later, thanks for pointing out needed changes guys, I agree with all of them, I have a few pointers from Weldon based on my original design he was kind to E-mail me, and thanked him for it, it would look amazing!!, but I feel I am cheating and not drawing it my self, so based on his input I am going to keep trying to make it look right,
thank you for your time guys, back to the drawing board,

Richard.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Ok , had a bit of a play today and this is what I came up with, and thought I try a preview of how it may look when cut ;) that is if I do it right, ;) what do you think?
Richard. 2017-05-05 10.18.16.jpg 2017-05-05 10.20.35.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Weldon, woo-whooo :banana:, very encouraging words!!, I know I have a lot to learn and won't let it go to my head, you have been most helpful and I very much appreciate it, you have helped me understand a lot more the designing/layout process, I guess now the fun begins, and also I will cut the variation to the design you suggested as a practice plate for future reference, :biggrin::handpiece:

thanks again,

Richard.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks to all the likes and,Thanks Layne, sorry about the pics, there are not the best, I should explain I just took them with my cell phone from the IPad at work I was so happy with the result I had to post them straight away and there is no WI-FI there, :) hehe!!, hopefully I don't mess it up!!, I don't have any customers at this stage, it is a hobby for me and a labor of love, here is a link to the history of this 1892, Long story short, bought this rusted receiver for $5 bucks, and cleaned it up a bit and here is where I am at now, lots of photos there, and I can see the improvement from past engravings :eek: for sure, if you have time check it out,

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?17406-A-piece-of-American-History-down-under/page6

Richard.

bamabubba

Your work on this has been astonishing! Can't wait to see this side complete.