Keith Thomas, Engraver

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
English engraver Keith Thomas will be at the Southern Side x Side event this week-end, 28-30 April 2017, at Deep River Sporting Clays shooting grounds Sanford, NC. According to author Vic Venters, Keith will be at the Atkin Grant & Lang booth demonstrating his technique and style and available for conversation.

The Southern Side x Side is an annual Spring event where fans, sellers and buyers of some of the world's finest and best double barrel shotguns are assembled. Atkin Grant & Lang have been long time sponsors and come over from UK. Holland & Holland has been there for years and will be this year as well.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
highveldt,I have my Parker buddys going down to the Southern Side by Side,wish I could go would like to meet Keith and talk about engraving. J.J.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
dang, i'd drive over for the day but one of my dogs has been pretty sick and i hate to leave her for that long...

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Phil;

I passed on to Keith Thomas your regards and he in turn asked me to send you his best regards.

I was amazed that Keith at age 69 engraves without magnification. His work is beautiful.

Steve Howell

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Steve,Did you take any pictures and did you take notes and learn anything interesting from Keith? J.J.

scc3

I met him as also. What a great guy. He was a well of information. And so helpful to a newbie like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Steve,Did you take any pictures and did you take notes and learn anything interesting from Keith? J.J.

No, I did not take any photos. What I learned in watching him was that he engraves without a engravers vise using the old style sand filled leather pad; he sharpens the gravers probably the way he has all of his career by feel and instinct without any devise to capture or maintain the angle; the majority of his work is push engraving. Also he had the SLE sideplate that he was engraving mounted on a wooden block about 1 inch thick and maybe 2 1/2 x 5 inches in width and length. He moves the wooden block against the leather engravers pad while he is making his cuts.

Last edited:

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil;

I passed on to Keith Thomas your regards and he in turn asked me to send you his best regards.

I was amazed that Keith at age 69 engraves without magnification. His work is beautiful.

Steve Howell

Thanks Steve,

Keith has always specialized in fine English scroll, he could probably do it with his eyes closed never mind magnification :)

Phil

Latest posts

Sponsors