graver geometry chart.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am trying to find the geometry chart that was in the tips archives so I can print it off for a friend that is starting to engrave. He is using a dual angle fixture so the chart I wanted had an explanation of How to create parallel heals in different geometries.If you can help , it would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,Dave

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
This one???

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
there was also a visual. of what the diffrent gavers look like, I think Roger
B. posted it once, this is becomeing a good thread.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew Biggs had an exceptional explanation on determining the angles. If he doesn't chime in, or reference it, it is somewhere in my stack of loose papers at work. I will try to scan the sheets in and share them.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator

Here's the spreadsheet graver angle calculator for those interested. Just type in the the kind of graver you want (90°, 105°, 120° etc), the heel angle you want (15°, 20°, etc), and it will calculate the sharpening fixture rotation angle to produce a parallel heel graver.

How to use the chart from Sam.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well thank you all for helping. Maybe these should all be in one file in the tips section??? If there are anymore visual aids that would be great. John B. used to have some pieces of 2x2 squares that he use in his classes with the geometries cut in to the ends, they were a great help in demonstrating what the tools looked like. I do remember seeing and actually printed off a couple of copies of a chart with illustrations of the tool geometry for each of the more commonly used square tools. I went to look for a copy to give to Danney but couldn't find it.I must have given all of them away.

I think the easiest formula for graver angles is as follows. Start at 180° and subtract the graver angle you want to make. Let's say I wanted to know how to make a 105° graver. 180-105=75 then divide that in half or (2) which is 37.5° shape each side at that angle and you'll end up with a 105 graver. One more tricky example just for a better understanding. Let's say we want to make a graver that's 108°. 180 - 108 = 72. 72÷2=36. So sharpen each side at 36°. Be sure to grind each side evenly. So long story short lol just subtract the graver angle you want from 180 and divide that number by 2 and those are your angles. I use a lift or loft of 2.5° but this will vary from one engraver to another and for certain tasks. Good luck.

Latest posts

Sponsors