SPEEEDY sander ( see what I did there? )

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
I've been having problems getting a good finish on my projects before starting. On aluminum, steel or stainless steel I always have some scratches ,tool marks or areas I just can't reach well. I started searching for micro sanders and came up with this one https://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-2859...8&qid=1492731259&sr=8-1&keywords=Micro+Sander . I was about to post a question if anyone had any experience with it. While searching I came upon a guy that used a kids toothbrush as a sander on wood .
I got one for $4 at W-mart ,with battery !
I plucked out the bristles with a small side cutter and hot glued on a small piece of wood to back up the sandpaper. I tried 1200 and 2000 grit wet or dry and wasn't very impressed. The paper seemed to dull and load up very quickly. I searched around on my bench for some sort of stone and looked in my drawer of useless rotary tool attachments. I hot glued a cut off disc on the brush head and it worked GREAT ! The disc gives a broad, smooth sort of grind to the metal and removes scratches and tool/file marks well.
The head only oscillates about 2mm and fits in some tiny places. You can shape it on your diamond hone to fit where needed. Use the center part of your diamond disc that never gets used anyway. An eraser cleans the buildup of gunk. Just run it for a second or two against it.
I don't know how long this cheap little tool will last but I'll just get another when kaput. It takes about 5 minutes to convert.
Hope that helps ,it sure did me, Mark
20170420_184809_resized (1).jpg 20170420_185239_resized.jpg 20170420_185641_resized.jpg

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I have similar set ups for wood carving. But I hot glued a piece of flip flop shoe to the head, then used E6000 to glue a piece of Velcro. I buy the hook and loop sandpaper and cut to shape. I also make mini sanding pads using the flip flop soles and buy the rolls of sandpaper and make belts to fit the flip flop pads.

You can find videos of this on YouTube if needed. I almost went out and got a cheap toothbrush to try this but have stuck with the ole by hand method for now.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i did pretty much the same with the gravermeister and the lindsay. glued a shaped, thin piece of wood to a few brass rods. when they lost their grit, id simply remove the wood and make new ones. this was done in desperation whilst doing hobos. i soon found it best to never touch the background. way too much work to undo the damage.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Layne, you said that like I'm supposed to know what it is. Tell me about it. I do have a flex shaft for my rotary tool ( dremel) . Is there some sort of power stoning attachment ? If you mean a rotary type sander or grinder, this thing by using the cutoff wheel flat or sideways has a kind of stoning action that's much smoother than a file but faster than sandpaper. I'm a little frustrated at my finishing results and am kind of exited about this. I'm all ears for something that can make my finishes better.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
I have a couple of these,
https://proxxon-us-shop.com/collect...-v-and-ac-adapters-1/products/pensander-ps-13
They work great for details and small spaces.
Used them for sanding corners on even large aluminum sand casting patterns.

Even better, something like this,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pneumatic-t...c7c9bbd&pid=100677&rk=6&rkt=6&sd=371765995165
Got one of these a little while ago, wish I had one when I was working on plastic molds, would have cut the time in half or more.
Unfortunately at that time they were multi thousand dollar tools.
Highly recommend them for detail work.

Another good mod is https://www.amazon.com/SONIC-SCRUBBER-4PC-PRO-DETAIL/product-reviews/B0057ERDUE?pageNumber=2
Replace the bristles with velcro and sandpaper.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does that toothbrush oscillate or rotate? I bought one and it rotates. My mistake -it doesn't rotate it just looks like it does. Should work great.

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now I understand. You are looking for an oscillating motion or back and forth. Not a circular motion. I think I saw a tool like that in one of jewelry tool supply house catalogs at one time.

Latest posts

Sponsors