Question: We have talked about this I know, but cant find a straight answer.

Wew0001

Simple question. I have used site search but can't seem to find a straight answer. I am thinking about getting a media blaster. My question is will it be able to strip nitride, tenifer or similar coatings? Are there any cons to sandblasting?

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A media blaster will strip anything. Depending on the media used. It will leave a rough surface depending on the media used how rough it will be.
You can cut a hole in a window in about 30 seconds with one using sand.

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
The problem with tenifer and nitride is that is penetrates the steel by several thousandths of an inch. Like case hardening, you can strip the color with the blaster but the surface will still be hard. Media blasters are great for removing bluing, parkerizing and all of the spray on finishes, depending on the abrasive and grit size, but does not work so well with processes like those mentioned. Like Jerry said, you can use a really coarse grit with high pressure to cut through the hardening but it is very tough to keep consistent. You will end up with a ton of extra work flattening and polishing afterward.

Many just avoid cutting guns with those types of coatings.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i was recently asked to put serial numbers on 5 magazines to match the client's pistol. these were some sort of high-quality aftermarket mags for Colt Govt 1911s. the black coating took the point off a freshly sharpened carbide graver and was utterly unscathed. i was impressed.
:shock:

so i'm guessing that even if something like that could be blasted off, it ain't gonna go willingly...

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David Clevinger is exactly right. I would never attempt to remove that type of finish as it is not actually a finish. It is more of a process. Very similar to case hardening. I don't know if it can even be annealed like case hardening. In any case it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Sponsors